2007 Accord I4 vs V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The V6 gets dismal rated EPA highway fuel economy. The manual gets better rated fuel economy in 4 and 6 cylinder models.
My wife once had an Accord coupe V6 with a stick and she never had a problem with it. It was quick and handled very good.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Interesting - I have been reading about users getting 29 MPG or so on the highway, with the V6..

Drive a K24 that conservatively and you'll do about 15% better in fuel consumption.
The four also does have plenty of power although you'll need to use more revs.
Leg it and make it redline upshifts and it has ample acceleration.
My mother has a Gen 7 four and it isn't slow.
The V-6 is faster and offers more effortless grunt.
It's all a matter of what you want and the expense of timing belt service does enter into this.
You can probably find a V-6 for lower dollars than a K24 for this reason.
The car will be overdue for a timing belt replacement and will be cheap for that reason and when buying something old and used, you will often have no documetation as to when or if any timing belt replacement was done or what was actually replaced beyond the belts.
A proper job will run close to a grand, so it does matter.
It's also important to bear in mind that any failure related to the timing belts is fatal to the engine.

So the V6 requires that the timing belt be done on some regular basis. How many miles before it should be done?

Does the I4 require a timing belt? And if so how often?

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
So the V6 requires that the timing belt be done on some regular basis. How many miles before it should be done?

7yrs or 120k miles.

And no to the second question.

Just a word of caution: you need to check specific years on the timing belt question. Do not just assume that since its a I4 that it has no timing belt.
Not the same year in question, but my son has a 2015 Accord V6 auto and loves it. He can get 32-35 mpg on the highway. He would have been fine with a I4 but the later years have a CVT and I do not trust the CVT for reliability.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Just a word of caution: you need to check specific years on the timing belt question. Do not just assume that since its a I4 that it has no timing belt.

2002 was the last year of the timing belt in an I4 engine.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Not the same year in question, but my son has a 2015 Accord V6 auto and loves it. He can get 32-35 mpg on the highway. He would have been fine with a I4 but the later years have a CVT and I do not trust the CVT for reliability.

Gen 7 is a timing chain, that is all I am dealing with right now.
+++++++++++++

So here is some more info- I drove 3 Gen 7 Accords (2-4cyl, 1-v6) over the weekend. The reason I posted, was to see if others' perceptions were the same as mine.

2.4- seems to be quicker 0-30 than the v6. It is louder than the v6, but not bad.

The V6 I am currently considering has been serviced at 109k, so no issues there. 149 k, $5900.00. Black LX SE with cloth. A trade into a local Acura dealer.

The 2.4 is at 156 k. One owner, traded into a Ford dealer locally. It is an LX (cloth), with the SE trim package. $5700.00.

The 2.4 is a snappy engine, and since I have a Tahoe for towing/weekends, I am leaning heavily towards the 2.4. Both are clean vehicles, especially for MN...

I'd lean towards the 2.4 as well. They seem to be a little bit more desirable in the used car market than the V6. The trans in the I4 seems to be more durable as well. Replace the pcv valve with an oem unit every 60k miles since the internal spring can break around then. Also drain and fills with the transmission only per the manufacturer. The gen 7 is one of my favorites. A guy on here bought one with 586k miles or so on it in great shape from a Honda dealer. They age very well. I used to be a moderator on an Accord forum. Well I still am just don't visit there much anymore.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

7yrs or 120k miles.

For the 2007 Honda models, I'm pretty sure Honda recommends the V-6 timing belt be changed at 7 years or 105,000 miles, whichever comes first. I changed mine at 74,000 miles and 9 years. The belt was in very good condition, but the tensioner pulley was ready to fail.

I have a generation 8 I4 and LOVE it!!

My Accord story:

My brother and his wife both have 07 I4's. His a coupe (black EX-L) and hers a sedan (gold EX-L). He wanted me to drive him to the store to buy some beer,only in your car I said haha,so I drove it to the store. First thing I asked him was if it was the V6 model,that car would haul [censored] and was rock solid!! Nope,4 cyl he said. I popped the hood,yep,K24 engine. So I decided I wanted one and spent a few months shopping. I drove a few 2012's and fell in love with them. I noticed the I4's have a higher resale value,and dealers wouldn't budge on the prices,and they'd sell within a day or so. I finally found the one in my sig. Spotless inside and out,one owner,perfect Carfax. It even had the dealership window sticker inside the glove box. Of course I changed EVERY fluid like I always do the day I brought her home (oil,transmission,radiator,power steering,and brakes). Engine is soooo smooth and silent!! Drives rock solid without a single rattle or noise. Gf and I were coming back from a road trip the other weekend and I happened to look down and I was breaking well over 100mph haha and didn't even realize it. These cars are very refined and engineered very well.

My advice,get the I4 model.

Depends on what you want in your Accord. K24s are dead-reliable, get better gas mileage, and have enough power to get out of their own way. Have an 8th gen with the K24, and it feels pretty slow compared to the Kia and the BMW in my sig, but it's adequate for what it's designed for- highway cruising. Then again I have the less powerful K24Z (177 HP), and 8th gens are larger cars.
V6 Accords with the J-series are actually relatively fast cars, but the big disadvantages come in maintenance and fuel economy. Know a few guys that have the J Series in various applications and they hold up to a decent amount of abuse. Anecdotal, but they all also burn some oil.
Really like the 7th gen Accord. Always thought they felt a tad more upscale than the 8th gens do inside.

V6 all day. The timing belt service is a 2 hr job every 105k. . Yes, the V6 eats motor mounts and some (not all) have trans issues, but it is well worth the added expensive for smoother acceleration. Plus the V6 does not have oil consumption issues.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
V6 all day. The timing belt service is a 2 hr job every 105k. . Yes, the V6 eats motor mounts and some (not all) have trans issues, but it is well worth the added expensive for smoother acceleration. Plus the V6 does not have oil consumption issues.

Eh, it's more like a 3.5-hour job, or maybe I'm slow. At least the original water pump will probably last through two timing belts. The motor mounts are stupid. If it was my car, I would upgrade to Innovative or some other more durable mounts, and just live with the NVH. The V6 with over 100K may also need a valve adjustment. Get bent feeler gauges! I have no problem with the K24, but the V6 is nicer to drive.

Book time is 4.5 for that job, but I know many techs who can knock it out in 2. Some can even do it in an hour.

The mounts suck, especially the rear one. But it’s a good money maker. Most V6s need them by 100k

My wife and I both had '07 Accords (want a great deal...go to a dealer to buy two cars at the same time). Hers was 4cyl and mine was a V6 6MT. What to get depends what you value most. If you want better mileage, the ultimate in low-maintenance bulletproof engines, and a lighter front-end (slightly better handling) get the 4cyl. If you value powerful acceleration as well as refinement in the engine, the J30 is truly exemplary. Since I have a short commute and like authoritative acceleration, I'd probably take the V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back