FRAM XG9688 For Hyundai/KIA 2.4 NA and 2.0T Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, I am no fan of the fiber end cap FRAM oil filters. From what I’ve seen here, it looks as though the Ultra or XG line is a good filter. I’m curious to know from people running them on their Hyundai and KIA autos. Give me a rundown. Anything noteworthy. Convince me I would be safe running the XG9688 on my 2013 KIA Optima.

I know that other Kia owners on here will know this for a fact or what's going on with that generation of Kia/Hyundai. You may well be better served running a OEM oil filter on that Kia. Due to those vehicles having an issue with aftermarket oil filters.

Ohh and just let you know that some very very expensive cars use fiber backed end caps. Including Bugatti.

I am currently running the Fram Ultra on my Hyundai 2.4 SantaFe. Since installing it I have had occasional startup rattle. Never had this with the other filters. I am going back to either the Tough Guard Fram or original Hyundai filter.

Hi OP, use it with the utmost confidence. I do, all the time in both vehicles. The Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has used more XG9688 than the OE filter and there has been no weird sounds or rattles since 2013.

This is the kind of information I’m looking for. As for the fiber end cap versions, I’ve had experience with those and I’ll leave it at that.

wemay
So, you’re happy with that particular filter in your ‘13 Santa Fe? I think you get where I’m going with that era of Alabama built engines.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Hi OP, use it with the utmost confidence. I do, all the time in both vehicles. The Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has used more XG9688 than the OE filter and there has been no weird sounds or rattles since 2013.

+1 .... I use this filter (XG9688) on my Hyundai and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever.

I’ve tried the XG9688 twice. The engine ticked till warmed up. OEM only for me, now.

MParr .... All I know is I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L, and I have been using FRAM Ultra XG9688 oil filters on it without any problems. If you feel more comfortable running the OEM filter, then use it instead. The FRAM Ultra oil filter is better in my opinion, but the OEM filter will serve you fine as well.

I ordered a 6 pack off Ebay based on recommendations by Hyundai-Forums.com members. I had concerns after seeing them compared to OEM I am using. What I learned you cannot know a lot by looking at a filter. Reading posts by Motorking, the Technical Director at Fram has give my total confidence in the Ultra filters. Here is some of his wisdom:

Premium Guard filter for Hyundai/Kia

I am going to use OEM and Fram Ultra filters with confidence. Not so confident in Hyundai's ability to make a trouble free motor (yet).

Originally Posted By: MParr
Folks, I am no fan of the fiber end cap FRAM oil filters. From what I’ve seen here, it looks as though the Ultra or XG line is a good filter. I’m curious to know from people running them on their Hyundai and KIA autos. Give me a rundown. Anything noteworthy. Convince me I would be safe running the XG9688 on my 2013 KIA Optima.

I've had my Turbo Optima for 5.5years now and started out by running the Purolator PureONE filter for several years until the scandal of the tearing media caused me to switch to the Kia OEM filter (both the old and new version). They are well built (I've cut them open) but have very unknown and suspect (IMHO) filtering specifications. So I switched to the FRAM Ultra (XG9688) and sleep well at night.

FWIW: I also run Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil and run a 4.5K OCI.

Tony10s and MONKEYMAN
Your cars don’t fall within the recall. I’m confident Hyundai and KIA can make good vehicles. I owned a 2006 Hyundai Tucson and it was a great car. I only used OE or NAPA Gold filters. I knew nothing about the FRAM XG at the time.

Tony10s and MONKEYMAN
Your cars don’t fall within the recall. I’m confident Hyundai and KIA can make good vehicles. I owned a 2006 Hyundai Tucson and it was a great car. I only used OE or NAPA Gold filters. I knew nothing about the FRAM XG at the time.

MParr, I've also used NAPA Gold filters on my Hyundai. They are excellent filters as well.

What experiences did have with fiber end caps???? I am just curious. Nothing more than that. And I am not saying that I won't or will not believe you. I try to be fair and willing to listen to what people have to say. I am just curious as to what you observed. And how long ago did this happen??
Bottom line is that if you look at the last several years worth of Fram orange can filter cut and posts most of them actually look quite good. The 7317s, 6607s, and a couple of others all have been very good in fact.
Tony10s is definitely right about how good the Wix and Napa Gold filters are. A very good choice indeed.

Last edited:
bbhero
1991 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 demostated erratic oil pressure at idle. Changed to Motorcraft FL-400s and problem went away. I never had that problem with the NAPA Gold either.

Last edited:
Yeah MParr that is no good at all. I'm with you 1000% on that. When in doubt... Change that badboy out. I would've done the same exact thing too.

I had a Purolator yellow in my Altima 3.5 and it kept having a start up rattle. And this was well after the initial oil change. I pulled that filter off and put on a Wix black filter. Start up rattle gone.

I buy the six pack of Hyundai OEM filters on ebay, and they work fine.

The OEM filter for this vehicle feels very heavy to me, whatever that may mean.

The dealer I buy them from also throws in six crush washers.

Allow me to qualify myself first, not to make myself look better but to allow you some confidence in my observations and opinions. I'm a Kia Master Elite tech 5 years running at a local Kia dealer (not publicizing the dealership without permission for obvious reasons.)

Wife and I own a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.3 Lambda V6 with 176k trouble free miles on it and we have a 2015 Kia Optima 2.4 Theta II lease with 26k on it. I fell for the OEM filter propaganda for a long time and had it preached to me in training and literature. Used Kia 3C100's in the Santa Fe and 504's in the Optima. There is something to be said for using OEM parts however:

-OEM consumable parts are made with a bean counter watching.
-Premium Aftermarket parts most of the time have certain benefits not allotted for from the lowest bidding OEM supplier.

Kia and Hyundai stating startup rattle may occur with aftermarket oil filters of different flow rates and construction is a blanket CYA statement to "warn" techs and keep them from unnecessarily pulling timing covers to hunt down chain slap caused by an oil filter that is too "efficient", or restrictive. My Kia currently has a K&N HP oil filter on it and I'm about to put a K&N PS7022 in the Hyundai. I have run K&N's on these cars before and not had any chain rattles ever. Unfortunately I cannot speak for the ultra high efficiency Fram XG line, Puro Boss, and the like, most all cars that come to the dealer have a quick lube filter or an OEM filter on them. The ones that rattle bad have either had the Nissan size PH6077 or equivalent on them or if it's a cartridge car has had the wrong cartridge installed, such as an AAO filter where a 3C250 goes or vice versa. (Sedona's usually).

I would not fear using a quality aftermarket filter at a SANE interval. I would not personally run filters out past 5k on a Kiyundai. Some cars can, some cars shouldn't. It's my opinion that Kia/Hyundai's shouldn't.

If you own a Kia with an affected 2.4 Theta, no oil filter will save it. Go get yourself a free longblock. (Hopefully). If you have the Theta recall and it passes, you are still covered for the allotted time in the warranty extension. Have no fear. I think it's 15 years unlimited miles. I'll have to review this to be sure this is accurate. In conclusion, please don't think your hands are tied. You are not a slave to Mann-Hummel and Mahle. Synthetic oil and a good flowing moderately to highly efficient oil filter will serve you well.

Tony10s and MONKEYMAN

Thanks! Though, it did take a while for the recall to take affect. Trust comes from experience. Glad the Tucson was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back