Dash Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a dash cam under $50 (there's 100's of them on EBAY), with an LCD screen 2" or larger, that records, and night vision, if that's possible! I don't know if I'm asking for much under $50, because I know NOTHING about them. Thank You!
21.gif

You'll find something! I would get a known model number from amazon though to avoid knockoffs.

Here's what I use. Very happy with it, SirTanon recommended it to me. I got it last summer and it's survived through our heat in the sun with the windows up.

LINK

Last edited:
Go with the one Nick1994 mentioned. Plus it was recommended by SirTanon. Hard to go wrong there.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Go with the one Nick1994 mentioned. Plus it was recommended by SirTanon. Hard to go wrong there.
smile.gif

Does it record? If so, how do you transfer the video? Does it have night vision?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
smile.gif

Okay! I just ordered one. Thanks for the recommendation!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

There is no "night vision" because infared cant pass through a windshield..

some have a pretty good dynamic range but you really need headlights or some other form of light for them to capture anything at night.

I'd recommend an anker roav c1 if you want a stealthy looking install.

or
something like this (not stealthy install)
https://www.amazon.com/OldShark-G-Sensor...ywords=dash+cam

50 is cutting it sort of tight.. plenty of stuff goes on sale near there..
maybe 60$ for something good if you catch a sale.
the better brands will have extra features like
smartphone app to view footage etc.

Really good starts at 100+ to 250.

Also get a 32GB high endurance microsd... it records gigabytes per hour.

For better night vision you want a lens with a larger aperture (lets in more light per frame), which is a lower F number, I went from a dash cam with an F2.0 to a F1.6 lens and that lets in about 50% more light and noticeably better footage at night (same make and software), at the lower price range this is more important (for low light) than difference between 720p and 1080p recording.

https://dashcamtalk.com/ is a site worth visiting, very US focused (could not get even half the models listed in the UK), lots of technial information.
Also https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/ is good for a quick overview.

This is the one I have.

Video 1
Video 2

I have night videos but havent trimmed them to an acceptable length. The quality is not perfect, but its enough to show what is going on around the vehicle at the time of an incident and show a good description of surrounding vehicles.

With a switched power supply, the camera will turn on and off with the ignition of the vehicle, so no attention really needs to be paid to it. Most automatically save footage when the camera senses impact, and have a button to press in cases like the 2 videos I posted where there is no impact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Here's what I use. Very happy with it, SirTanon recommended it to me. I got it last summer and it's survived through our heat in the sun with the windows up.

LINK

Okay Nick, my dash cam was delivered Friday. Now I need a 32 gb SD and/or SDHC micro card. And, something to put it in so I can plug it into a USB port on my laptop and watch the recorded footage. Any recommendations?
21.gif

If the dashcam came with a USB cable then you should be able to connect the dashcam to the computer and see the video files on the memory card. What do the instructions say that came with the dashcam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back