Cleaning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks. So, before I c&p another filter I thought I’d ask this question. In your experiences what oil is a good cleaning oil? I think M1 0w40 is judging from what I saw from OVERKILL’s Expedition. What say the Bitog faithful?

Thank you

Originally Posted By: car51
Good evening folks. So, before I c&p another filter I thought I’d ask this question. In your experiences what oil is a good cleaning oil? I think M1 0w40 is judging from what I saw from OVERKILL’s Expedition. What say the Bitog faithful?

Thank you

Can you link what you saw? OVerkil?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Don’t they all clean?

Dunno, from years of reading on here the stories I get are Castrol doesn’t clean, and only expensive synthetics clean.

So, you tell me

They all clean pretty well.

I think the diesel formulated oils like Delvac have a bit more detergents and dispersants in them.

UD

Pennzoil and Rotella synthetics are supposed to be a top pick for cleaning. I think regardless of brand, regular oil changes are what keep the engine clean.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Pennzoil and Rotella synthetics are supposed to be a top pick for cleaning. I think regardless of brand, regular oil changes are what keep the engine clean.

Good point. I bet even today’s Conventional s are good at cleaning
smile.gif

Don’t they all clean?

Dunno, from years of reading on here the stories I get are Castrol doesn’t clean, and only expensive synthetics clean.

So, you tell me

You have just over 9000 posts and have been here a few years. I would think you knew already? But, I’ll throw out a bone.

The Mobil 1 fans say that M1 cleans better than any oil.
The Valvoline faithful say that Valvoline leaves the engine’s insides spotless.
The Shell fan club will tell you that their oil made from natural gas leaves pistons xx% cleaner.
The Amsoil fanatics will proclaim that nothing beats Amsoil for cleaning.
The Castrol buddies will say that Edge is the cleanest oil to date.
The Chevron folks will say all of the above , but not too often.

Those are most of the players. I’m sure we will hear from the other brands as well.

Don’t they all clean?

So, you tell me

You have just over 9000 posts and have been here a few years. I would think you knew already? But, I’ll throw out a bone.

The Mobil 1 fans say that M1 cleans better than any oil.
The Valvoline faithful say that Valvoline leaves the engine’s insides spotless.
The Shell fan club will tell you that their oil made from natural gas leaves pistons xx% cleaner.
The Amsoil fanatics will proclaim that nothing beats Amsoil for cleaning.
The Castrol buddies will say that Edge is the cleanest oil to date.
The Chevron folks will say all of the above , but not too often.

Those are most of the players. I’m sure we will hear from the other brands as well.

As stated, just asking for your experiences on what YOU think is a good cleaning oil.

I’m glad I don’t have a oil stash; as I may just use ST or QSGB and follow DNewton3 advice
smile.gif

A wise co worker tells me all the time “Oil IS oil!”

Cleaning oils are thin so that can wash away gunk from all the nooks and crannies inside the engine...so use anything in xW20 or even xW30 range...plus some cleaning aditive or shot of diesel.

I've read great things about Mobil 0W40, Redline, RLI Bio Syn oil as cleaners. I believe it's the bio esters in the oil. Not sure about esters in Mobil, but def in the latter two. Again, Mobil is much cheaper at Helmart. Perhaps running short oil change intervals using high quality synthetics will mitigate your concern.

However; Valvoline manufactures an oil "Blue Restore 15W40" with solvents) for Cummins (Soot issues). Part #4337621, $63.41 a gallon. Here is a discussion Cummins Valvoline Blue Restore 15W40 . Here is a PDF Valvoline Blue Restore

I purchased Mobil 0W40 with Kreen and using it in my engine for cleaning. A lot cheaper than the Cummins Valvoline.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

From my experiences with helping friends, buying a beater etc. "good cleaning oils" take a very long time to clean. Using Mobil 1 0W40 and TDT 5W40 were included in my projects. Anytime I wanted something cleaned I wanted it cleaned within a few thousand miles, not tens of thousands of miles or a year or more, so I tweaked my oil accordingly. Flame suit on.

I posted a pic of my 2007 Fusion's Cam area last year when I replaced the cam cover gasket, and the head was very clean with 200K on the engine. Would love to show it but Photo Bucket has it trapped.
Oil used: M1 0-20AFE at 10K OCI's. I thought you posted a few days ago that you have settled on some sort of Penz?

Last edited:
I do think that you are quite correct in your analysis here PimTac. Each label seemingly has a way of seeing things. Having said that, if I were to go back in time to clean out my old Ford Probe motor that I didn't take the best care of at all when I was in my late teens to early twenties... I'd be asking the same EXACT question as Car51 is here. I like people's observations and hearing what they have to say
Knowing full well that I will have to navigate the way through all of the differing allegiances. I still would like to hear what people have to say. Even if I did not take every single opinion or observation as total gospel.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I posted a pic of my 2007 Fusion's Cam area last year when I replaced the cam cover gasket, and the head was very clean with 200K on the engine. Would love to show it but Photo Bucket has it trapped.
Oil used: M1 0-20AFE at 10K OCI's. I thought you posted a few days ago that you have settled on some sort of Penz?

I don't use PhotoBucket, thankfully, FlickR for me, which has worked great, but I believe there is a way of getting your old, locked photos off of there?
I can offer no help but do a thorough Google search and I think you will come up with something.

As far as the question goes, I always thought Pennzoil oils cleaned the best, but maybe I have just drinked too much of their Kool-Aid, and believed what was written on the bottle and in their ads?
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases...-166280746.html

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I do think that you are quite correct in your analysis here PimTac. Each label seemingly has a way of seeing things. Having said that, if I were to go back in time to clean out my old Ford Probe motor that I didn't take the best care of at all when I was in my late teens to early twenties... I'd be asking the same EXACT question as Car51 is here. I like people's observations and hearing what they have to say
Knowing full well that I will have to navigate the way through all of the differing allegiances. I still would like to hear what people have to say. Even if I did not take every single opinion or observation as total gospel.

I believe it makes no difference anymore. PYB, Chevron Supreme and a few others were known to be real good at cleaning but times and formulations have changed. Most oils are going away from the high calcium add packs known for cleaning. So who really knows? There are some who would suggest Marvel Mystery Oil or Rislone or some other product for cleaning. Those may be hit and miss and could even cause problems.

If I was presented with this issue I would go with frequent OCIs with either a conventional or syn blend or perhaps a syn on sale.

A couple of points here.. A) not all of the "old" stock formulation of oil is gone yet. In fact far, far from that. There's still a whole lot of older oils on the shelves. Especially the conventional oils. B) I bet the latest generation of oils will likely clean just as well. Magnesium is being added to compensate for the loss of calcium. Sodium is being added as well by others and boron is used by some others as well. So I don't think that the cleaning ability of these later generation of oils will be dropping off at all.

And C) I agree with your thinking here. Short runs of conventional oil or HDEO would be my plan of action as well. I think you are right on with that.

D) What motor is in your Mazda by the way??? You very pleased thus far??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back