How do these spark plugs look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to doing the plugs and leaking valve cover gaskets on my Infiniti. Here are a couple of the plugs. I presume they are the original ones. What does the white crust mean?

The reason it is called "SPARK" plug is because it is sparking fire.
So, the white crust is the carbon ash created because it is essentially burning the tip.
Sort of like you light up a charcoal for bbq, the burnt surface shows white ashes.

Better replace it if you are working on it for something that cost very little in the grand scheme of a car maintenance.
Plus it will save you some gas.

the white ash is par for the course. nothing to worry about. in my aoa the ash can be red in color.

as far as the life of the plug, the pad on the ground strap is still intact, and although the electrode is rounded over, dimensionally its still probably in spec.

id change them as a p.m. item, but I could easily see them racking up more miles

I just peeked at my mothers 2008 honda accord plugs at 50K miles, they looked brand new but were Denso Iridiums. No white ash, just a light discoloration.

I would say you got your moneys worth out of yours but they probably have some life left. If you plan on keeping it I would put another set in..

Originally Posted By: hansj3
the white ash is par for the course. nothing to worry about. in my aoa the ash can be red in color.

as far as the life of the plug, the pad on the ground strap is still intact, and although the electrode is rounded over, dimensionally its still probably in spec.

id change them as a p.m. item, but I could easily see them racking up more miles

The red is from octane booster.

The ash on OP's plugs are from burning oil. Ash is not normal. Those plugs are WAY past due.

Last edited:
They have 130k miles on them- I think they are in the condition to be expected. Given the amount of miles, I would not pronounce an oil burning condition just based on the plugs.

Ahh yeah I would actually. Oil burning creates that type of ash around the used plug. It's obvious that it has been burning oil. I'd bet $20 against your $1 that the other Bank of spark plugs without the valve cover leak look rather good and without the white ash burned on to them.

I've seen others on here post pics of plugs with the same amount of miles with zero Ash burnt on the plugs. Those plugs were clean with zero deposits on them anywhere. In fact some of them looked good enough to run longer in addition to the 125k to 140k miles those plugs had already run.

Ohh and very good story you posted on that other thread about the car story. That was really crazy.

Last edited:
OP here. Yes, I installed new OEM plugs. So the white crust indicates running hot/burning oil? Interesting. This doesn't surprise me since early VQ35 engines are known oil burners.

Hey Mclasser we're both valve cover gaskets leaking oil?? Or just one side only??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey Mclasser we're both valve cover gaskets leaking oil?? Or just one side only??

Both gaskets were leaking.

I wish I had saved the other plugs (they also had the white crust). I was about to toss these last two when I suddenly remembered to take a pic to share here.

Ahh yeah. Go figure. If would have been interesting to see the difference if one bank had the leak while the other Bank did not have it. It would have been very obvious then which ones had the burnt oil on them.

I had gone to a Nissan dealership to price spark plugs. Then I asked how much it would be to get the plugs changed there at the dealership. Got the number which was a bit high. The lady says something to me about changing the valve cover gasket. I told her no that I didn't need that done. She got a bit of an attitude and asked, " are you sure?". To which I got a bit unpleased and strongly stated no they are fine. I understood the rationale as to why that could well make sense. While you have the intake manifold off on the side closet to the firewall it makes sense to go on ahead and do that if there's a problem there. But I had zero problems with my valve cover gaskets on either bank. And I still don't have any problems. I don't mind the question. Just don't get an attitude if I don't give you the answer you wanted. Trifling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back