3 million mile Volvo question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a search, but there is a LOT written about this car.

I'm trying to find some facts about how many times the engine has been rebuilt and exactly what has been replaced on the engine or machining done.

Was the engine converted to run unleadded?

Were cam and lifters replaced?

I understand that Castrol products have been used since new. What OCI? What filters?
Has the reduced ZDDP in modern oils been an issue in this old flat lifter engine?

Thanks.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the video, but I think it had the original cam and lifters but the pistons were replaced once and no mention was made of the rings. I don't think the are telling a complete story and it's misleading.

If the engine had been rebuilt or even touched,doesn't that discredit the whole 3million mile claim? Imo for it to have any credibility,the ENTIRE engine has to be original and untouched.

If you listen to the video carefully, I hear 2 million miles on the pistons but 3 million on the cam.
It's misleading.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If the engine had been rebuilt or even touched,doesn't that discredit the whole 3million mile claim? Imo for it to have any credibility,the ENTIRE engine has to be original and untouched.

I agree, but the numbers are still impressive, if real.

I think (relatively) early on, piston rings broke.

The whole transmission was replaced after 'a leak'!

I just wonder how much is 'grandfathers old axe'?

I would think there might be some taxis in Cuba with that amount of miles, undocumented of course.

The idea is that the whole car made the distance.

Some repairs must be taken in context. My 84 Civic at 400K failed California smog because of just the oil rings that caused visible smoke. I took one shot at the valve seals but no luck. I overhauled the engine for the first time and it was a real shame. Everything looked good but I did the whole engine because I had it apart. Things I did not replace where the crank, rods, camshaft, valves, springs and rocker arms. I replaced the pistons so that I could use better rings, honed the cylinders and put everything back together with a new water pump and timing belt. I use Red Line 0w-30 oil which is great for a daily driver and has served me well in the past.

I can still say I have a 440K car because the rest of the car is doing great. Everything works, it's never been dinged or re-painted, no rust and it drives like new. The miles are coming on a lot slower now but I'll probably hit 500K before I die. I have other cars but still drive the Civic and still enjoy it. When I die I'd like to be put in the back and have a Viking funeral.

Originally Posted By: expat
I think (relatively) early on, piston rings broke.

The whole transmission was replaced after 'a leak'!

I just wonder how much is 'grandfathers old axe'?

Since it moves it's more of a Ship of Theseus.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back