ranger belt squeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm back to driving my old 3.0 Ranger again, just for a work vehicle. I have a part time job for the time being, I work 4am to 8am. Like clockwork for the last week, I'll start the truck and itll start squealing like crazy, the whole way to my job which is 4 miles away. When I get in my truck at 8 to leave, its quiet, along with any other time of the day. Only does it first start of the morning. I did put a new belt (Master Pro not Gates, probably a bad choice right there), a new idler pulley, and I'm almost certain a new tensioner with pulley, around 15k miles ago. I'd like to pinpoint what it could be before I throw any money at it. Opinions please, Im thinking tensioner or belt.

My old ranger back in day had squeak and it was idler. Try using long metal screwdrive or wrench and place to you ear near different source.

Is it an autotensioner or do you manually adjust it? Either way the belt isn't tight enough. So if it's manual, I'd tighten it up till it's quiet or if it's auto, replace it.

Are you sure it is the belt? When the camshaft synchronizer goes out it sounds a lot like belt squeal. I sell a ton of belts on those only to have them returned, or try to return, to get the synchronizer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Are you sure it is the belt? When the camshaft synchronizer goes out it sounds a lot like belt squeal. I sell a ton of belts on those only to have them returned, or try to return, to get the synchronizer.
Yah.what BD says, On the Ranger Station forum, this is a known trouble of the 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back