Mobil Delvac 1 Launches New Synthetic Engine Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a LOL right away when I saw "Advanced Fuel Economy" and a picture of a Big Rig on the right-most bottle.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I had a LOL right away when I saw "Advanced Fuel Economy" and a picture of a Big Rig on the right-most bottle.

You laugh, but an increase of 0.3 miles per gallon on a fleet of big rigs means a lot more cubic dollars saved than 5 mpg increase on your Ford Focus.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

You laugh, but an increase of 0.3 miles per gallon on a fleet of big rigs means a lot more cubic dollars saved than 5 mpg increase on your Ford Focus.

I absolutely believe it with the amount of fuel that an entire fleet of trucks would go through in a year.

One thing I will say is that I really like Mobil's oil containers. They are resealable and can be reused to put oil in and take back to be recycled.

How can they label it "esp" when it has 1% sulfated ash and their Mobil 1 esp has .5%. Your dpf will regenerate twice as much.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
How can they label it "esp" when it has 1% sulfated ash and their Mobil 1 esp has .5%. Your dpf will regenerate twice as much.

HDEO criteria vs. PCMO criteria. CJ-4 was the first ESP-type API HDEO.

regeneration has NOTHING to do with ash in oil. It is soot that gets burned with regeneration.

Charlie

Here is the SDS for esp 5w30. Sadly, EOM eliminated PAO in this just like they did with ESP CK-4 5w40.

https://www.mobil.com/Xomfl/Core/Handlers/PDFHandler.ashx?component=SDS&downloadUrl=http://www.epw2.exxonmobil.com/IntApps/PSIMS/Download.aspx?ID=969841&docFormat=RTF

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
Here is the SDS for esp 5w30. Sadly, EOM eliminated PAO in this just like they did with ESP CK-4 5w40.

Why is it sad? What performance did the oil lose with the change?

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

regeneration has NOTHING to do with ash in oil. It is soot that gets burned with regeneration.

Charlie
It won't regenerate twice as much, BUT if you burn oil, it may CLOG the DPF faster, meaning shorter cleaning intervals.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

The physical properties are different. It has the same shortcomings of all G III based oils. You don’t have the same thermal properties, the old Delvac ESP had impressive pour and flash point values. It was class leading for an off the shelf HDEO.

The NOACK isn’t published, but I’d bet the old PAO base made it less volatile.

The physical properties are different. It has the same shortcomings of all G III based oils. You don’t have the same thermal properties, the old Delvac ESP had impressive pour and flash point values. It was class leading for an off the shelf HDEO.

What kind of thermal properties?

And what do pour point and flash point relate to exactly, in terms of an operating engine?

Probably none, but when you could get a primarily PAO jug of oil for $25 or less in Canada and it's gone, it is an occasion to be sad.
wink.gif
Realistically, the cold weather numbers might have worsened a bit, but there's no evidence of that. As CleverUserName pointed out in his subsequent post, it was a ringer in the class, beating virtually all the competition in various properties. Looking back at the posts of those in the know when the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 CJ-4 lubricant was being developed and tested, and then finally rolled out, it was rather overbuilt for the specifications it held. I believe it lists fewer builder approvals, too. So, there is a reason to be sad.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this would matter to anyone but the most extreme users of the product, if even them. If someone isn't using the product to its limits in the first place, shrinking that envelope a bit doesn't really hurt. Just from a curiosity perspective, I wonder how much, if any, tweaking would have been really necessary to get Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 from CJ-4 to CK-4 in the first place. Of course, such a thing is so proprietary, we'll never know.

What kind of thermal properties?

And what do pour point and flash point relate to exactly, in terms of an operating engine?

I’ve already answered your question. If you want to research these concepts and make a comparison on your own time, be my guest. I don’t have time to spoon-feed you the information.

I’ve already answered your question. If you want to research these concepts and make a comparison on your own time, be my guest. I don’t have time to spoon-feed you the information.

No, not really. I asked what relevance there is to flash point and pour point in regards to how the oil performs in an engine. Sure it may have been better numbers previously but what difference does that make?

And you're new here? You've got a great attitude for just joining. Or have we seen you before, CleverUserName?

Originally Posted By: Garak

Probably none, but when you could get a primarily PAO jug of oil for $25 or less in Canada and it's gone, it is an occasion to be sad.
wink.gif
Realistically, the cold weather numbers might have worsened a bit, but there's no evidence of that. As CleverUserName pointed out in his subsequent post, it was a ringer in the class, beating virtually all the competition in various properties. Looking back at the posts of those in the know when the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 CJ-4 lubricant was being developed and tested, and then finally rolled out, it was rather overbuilt for the specifications it held. I believe it lists fewer builder approvals, too. So, there is a reason to be sad.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this would matter to anyone but the most extreme users of the product, if even them. If someone isn't using the product to its limits in the first place, shrinking that envelope a bit doesn't really hurt. Just from a curiosity perspective, I wonder how much, if any, tweaking would have been really necessary to get Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 from CJ-4 to CK-4 in the first place. Of course, such a thing is so proprietary, we'll never know.

Yes the performance of the old CJ-4 Delvac was legendary. It’s “overbuilt” qualities made it suitable for much more than just the HDEO market. It’s excellent properties made it widely used by Motorcycle, racing and automotive enthusiasts worldwide.

I doubt the old esp formula would need any additional tweaking to meet the new spec. My guess is EOM made a “Value engineering” decision to change the formulation to make it with cheaper materials and more competitive with the other oils available at Walmart.

I highly doubt EOM or any other major HDEO maker does anything to thier oils based on Walmart sales....they do it for the customers who get oil delivered in tanker truck and rail car quantities. CK-4 is a fairly big change from CJ-4, new tests and requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back