Drop DirecTV for Sling or Apple TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of paying $100+ a month for 500+ channels of nothing but garbage. Dish Network is no better, and neither is cable. In fact, the only reason I still have DirecTV is because they're the only ones I can get the Sunday NFL Ticket from. I checked on Sling TV and at just $20 a month, I like their price, but they don't have many of the channels I do like, and I can't get the NFL Ticket through them. Apple TV is free, which is by far the best price, but I have no idea what is available through them, and I can't get the local channels from either of these places. Here are the channels that are a must;

All of the local channels
Fox News
The Weather Channel
Nat Geo
Animal Planet
ME TV
TV Land
FX
And some method of having access to all movies
And some method of being able to watch every NFL game

Is there another service similar to Sling or Apple TV that offers these?

I am in your boat as well I am paying 180/month for Time Warner Cable and would love to cut the cord but am nervous to do it. I need Fox News and Discovery and Velocity.

I dont know what to do

I dropped the Comcast cable TV connection and am now using only Netflix for my TV viewing. I have ZERO need or desire anymore to watch all the JUNK that is broadcast on cable. If I need news....I will go on my computer. I'm also not a sports fan....especially those NFL keelers. I have cut my TV viewing time by half and feel better about it. Hard to grasp how much horrible programs are on cable and how great it feels to be RID of them. Netflix allows me to pick and choose what I want to watch and when I want to watch it. Plenty of good stuff on there and cheap. There just sin't ANY cable show I miss. And certainly NOT worth the cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm sick of paying $100+ a month for 500+ channels of nothing but garbage. Dish Network is no better, and neither is cable. In fact, the only reason I still have DirecTV is because they're the only ones I can get the Sunday NFL Ticket from. I checked on Sling TV and at just $20 a month, I like their price, but they don't have many of the channels I do like, and I can't get the NFL Ticket through them. Apple TV is free, which is by far the best price, but I have no idea what is available through them, and I can't get the local channels from either of these places. Here are the channels that are a must;

All of the local channels
Fox News
The Weather Channel
Nat Geo
Animal Planet
ME TV
TV Land
FX
And some method of having access to all movies
And some method of being able to watch every NFL game

Is there another service similar to Sling or Apple TV that offers these?

If those channels are a must for you...as well as movie access and all NFL games.....GOOD LUCK saving much money no matter what you choose. Might as well stay with what you've got.

An Apple TV is only a streaming device, just like a Roku or a Fire TV Stick. The channels on the Apple TV won't let you watch the majority of the content without a cable or DirecTV sign-in. So even though those channels show up (just as they do for the other streaming devices) you can't watch a whole lot for free.

Sling TV is a service, and as you've found they may or may not have the content you want. We've been doing the DirecTV NOW thing and watching that through our Apple TV, but that costs something like $35 a month or whatever it is.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
An Apple TV is only a streaming device, just like a Roku or a Fire TV Stick. The channels on the Apple TV won't let you watch the majority of the content without a cable or DirecTV sign-in. So even though those channels show up (just as they do for the other streaming devices) you can't watch a whole lot for free.

Sling TV is a service, and as you've found they may or may not have the content you want. We've been doing the DirecTV NOW thing and watching that through our Apple TV, but that costs something like $35 a month or whatever it is.

What is DirecTV Now? Does it give the same access to the same channels as a regular DirecTV subscription does? If so, $35 a month is a heck of a lot better than $120...

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I dropped the Comcast cable TV connection and am now using only Netflix for my TV viewing. I have ZERO need or desire anymore to watch all the JUNK that is broadcast on cable. If I need news....I will go on my computer. I'm also not a sports fan....especially those NFL keelers. I have cut my TV viewing time by half and feel better about it. Hard to grasp how much horrible programs are on cable and how great it feels to be RID of them. Netflix allows me to pick and choose what I want to watch and when I want to watch it. Plenty of good stuff on there and cheap. There just sin't ANY cable show I miss. And certainly NOT worth the cost.

Netflix is alright, but their movie selection is extremely limited. Seems like cable and satellite TV is more infomercials, channels broadcast in foreign languages, and just plain garbage nobody watches, but you have to get and pay for that garbage in order to get the good channels.

I get by with Sling, Netflix, and Hulu subscriptions. Player doesn't matter so much- can be AppleTV, Roku, whatever. Never had cable, never will, never missed it. I don't know if that meets all your requirements, as I don't particularly care what networks I get, I just look for individual shows.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Netflix is alright, but their movie selection is extremely limited. Seems like cable and satellite TV is more infomercials, channels broadcast in foreign languages, and just plain garbage nobody watches, but you have to get and pay for that garbage in order to get the good channels.

Netflix is improving selections all the time. They are currently preparing to expand service choices as well. Yes, costs will rise a bit....but still far cheaper than regular cable junk is. I actually think Netflix has a pretty good movie selection for the price. I have learned to watch more foreign language films and independent ones as well and I'm grateful for it. Netflix has opened my eyes to better films than what Hollywood typically pukes out. They really excel at series programs to. All kinds of quality productions....including Netflix films which are very well made.

What is DirecTV Now? Does it give the same access to the same channels as a regular DirecTV subscription does? If so, $35 a month is a heck of a lot better than $120...

It's a streaming service. It does not have the same channels as regular DirecTV, but they have a bunch o different packages to choose from.
https://www.directvdeals.com/directv-now/packages/

The $35 package gives you 60 channels.

I am considering switching from ATT Uverse (paying $80 for the TV portion currently) to one of the DirecTV Now packages, but knowing ATT, the moment I drop the TV portion, they are going to jack up my Internet and home phone rates, so at the end of the day I won't save much if anything.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I get by with Sling, Netflix, and Hulu subscriptions. Player doesn't matter so much- can be AppleTV, Roku, whatever. Never had cable, never will, never missed it. I don't know if that meets all your requirements, as I don't particularly care what networks I get, I just look for individual shows.

I had Sling for a while. I didn't like the dodgy navigation and the same [censored] programs as cable. Hulu is okay, but for me Netflix is better and all I need. What the OP is looking for is asking for a lot of variation in programming...and I don't think the price will be much (if any) cheaper than what he already has.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's a streaming service. It does not have the same channels as regular DirecTV, but they have a bunch o different packages to choose from.
https://www.directvdeals.com/directv-now/packages/

The $35 package gives you 60 channels.

I am considering switching from ATT Uverse (paying $80 for the TV portion currently) to one of the DirecTV Now packages, but knowing ATT, the moment I drop the TV portion, they are going to jack up my Internet and home phone rates, so at the end of the day I won't save much if anything.

I've been thinking about cutting the cord as well, DirecTV Now seems to have all the channels I wanted, at a reasonably price (compared to Hulu, Youtube TV, Sling). The only thing it's missing is a DVR type service, although, they have been beta testing a DVR functionality very recently. I also saw that T-Mobile is planning to release a similar service in 2018. I've been very happy with T-Mobile as a call carrier (cell phone bill sis $230ish for about 6 or so lines, plus free Netflix), so I'm their TV service will be good.

If I calculated right, getting rid of the cable portion of my Comcast/Xfinity service should lower it by a good $110 since I'm paying for taxes on top of the DVR and "Technology" fee. I hope to maintain a 30-60Mbps internet service for $80/mo or less

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've been thinking about cutting the cord as well, DirecTV Now seems to have all the channels I wanted, at a reasonably price (compared to Hulu, Youtube TV, Sling). The only thing it's missing is a DVR type service, although, they have been beta testing a DVR functionality very recently.

The one thing I'm not sure of with DTV Now is local channels... depending on your location, you may not get live TV but instead only get VOD which would only be certain shows/programming from those local channels. Unless I am not understanding it correctly.

Of course, for local channels you could just get a standalone HDTV antenna and use that.

I checked on DTV NOW and it checks all of my boxes except for the NFL Ticket. In order to get the NFL Ticket I have to be a subscriber to the regular DTV service. It's only available through DTV NOW if the place you're currently living in doesn't allow for satellite dishes to be installed. If I can talk my wife out of the need to have the Sunday Ticket, then I'll probably switch to DTV NOW...I can always add something like Netflix later if I really want it...

I just signed up for DirecTV Now. Haven’t tried it yet though. They have a deal going that if you pre-pay for 4 months they’ll give you an Apple TV for free. Mine will be here later this week.

I cut the cord over a year ago. I've save 1,300 so far. I watch Darewatch. All the movies are on this site. They recommend built in apps to block pop up adds etc. Try it and you will love it. Game of Thrones, Star wars, Walking Dead, everything..........My MAC mini is connected to my TV, any computer or streaming device will work.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I just signed up for DirecTV Now. Haven’t tried it yet though. They have a deal going that if you pre-pay for 4 months they’ll give you an Apple TV for free. Mine will be here later this week.

Please let us know once you spend some time with DirecTV Now!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Or if you prepay for 1 month, you'll get a free Roku Stick:
https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow

DirecTV's rates are going up again in January. Increase varies, but it's between $2-$10/month. After Christmas I'm going to sit down and total up what I want versus cost.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
DirecTV's rates are going up again in January. Increase varies, but it's between $2-$10/month. After Christmas I'm going to sit down and total up what I want versus cost.

This is part of the reason I'm ditching them...they don't NEED to keep raising the rates, but they do anyway...they can kiss me goodbye as a customer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back