BluRay/DVD Players are all junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 12 year old Panasonic DVD player is still functioning well, with over 1500 hours of runtime on it. But it does not play Blu-Ray discs. The Sony BluRay player I bought a year and a half ago has already expired with electronic glitches, with only around 100 hours of use.

I don't need 3D, or 4K, or internet connectivity. Looking at various sites for online reviews of "basic" Blu-Ray players (they all seem to be in the $50 to $75 range), I see that the 1 year failure rate seems to be around 25% to 30% for Sony, Samsung, LG, Sanyo, etc. Pathetic.

They don't build them like they used to. They are now disposable toys. A new one needs to be bought once every year.

They're all like that. The price of things comes down, so does the quality.

How heavy is your 12 year old player? Considerably more I bet. How much did it cost new? Like $200? For that money you can get the VERY well built Sony X800 Ultra HD 4k player today.

The quality is still there, but it's at the same price point it was 10 years ago. Less when inflation is taken into account.

+1 OPPO ...If you have a large collection get the best player now. In a few years they are going the way of VHS/Betamax and moving on to streaming services. They are cheap and junky now cause it is winding down tech.

FWIW you can find some good old players at goodwill regularly.

Last edited:
Dad bought one of the original Sony Blu Ray players probably ~10 years ago. Back then, there was Blu Ray and HD DVD, which is now dead. I can get a part number if you're interested. No idea if they still make them, but I am sure you can get one used.

Last edited:
I bought my latest Samsung Blu Ray player refurbished from my HEB grocery store for $29.

I think physical disc media movies are almost dead anyways, when there are so many HD streaming options and 4k streaming.

The interface on the samsung stinks, and the apps on the thing are terribly dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back