What is the NV245 fluid capacity, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was baselining the drivetrain fluids on my XK and noticed something strange. My drain pan has a fluid measurement on the side and I counted roughly 2.5 qts of fluid drained from my NV245 transfer case. OEM fill spec is 1.9 quarts and I managed to get both quart bottles of that Mopar liquid gold in without any seeping out (admittedly it is ever so slightly nose-down on my garage floor).

After searching for corroboration, it seems this happens to a lot of people. Some put in 2 quarts and it seeps out the fill hole, whereas others have to put in over 2 quarts of fluid to achieve seepage. I'm debating calling it good with putting in the amount the factory called for, but I'm curious what the rest of you think. Part of my moral dilemma is that I paid about $10/qt on Amazon and if I want to buy a third, I have to cough up $21. : /

Everyone I know does two quarts and calls it done. I do the same with my 247. If I try I can put in another .25 qt. I don't bother anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Everyone I know does two quarts and calls it done. I do the same with my 247.
Thanks for the reply. The only thing I can guess is that the previous owner or person who did maintenance filled the TC until the fluid came out, which would account for the 2.5 quart drain. If you don't mind me asking, does your 247 or any of your acquaintances find that 2 quarts gets it to come out the fill hole? One person suggested that variances in manufacturing tolerances can account for the .5 quart discrepancy. I'm not sure myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back