Gear Oil for Spool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say a standard GM 8.5" 10-bolt rear end normally takes 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil. Should I consider something different if I take out the silly spider gears and put in a mini-spool? Maybe it doesn't make a lick of difference. Probably not. You can tell me to use something fancy, but then I might not be able to afford tires.

OK, this gets a bit tricky. What are you trying to accomplish in the end?

One approach is to use the B-O-P 8.6 w/o the C-Clips as a small drag car rear end. Spools readily available, and a bunch stronger than the Chevy version
smile.gif
Still an 10-Bolt. Many rears will swap over directly, housing and all.

Or, go to Redline Explosion Proof and it'll live for a while. But you may still spit out an axle when a clip goes
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The 80w90 is what you want for the ring and pinon. I have a detroit locker in my ford and its quite a neusance. It clangs and bangs and eats tires.

I had one of those Powertrax lockers in another truck. It was fine, but this time I figure I can do without the clanging and banging. Just straight tire eating. A mini spool is cheaper, too.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
OK, this gets a bit tricky. What are you trying to accomplish in the end?

One approach is to use the B-O-P 8.6 w/o the C-Clips as a small drag car rear end. Spools readily available, and a bunch stronger than the Chevy version
smile.gif
Still an 10-Bolt. Many rears will swap over directly, housing and all.

Or, go to Redline Explosion Proof and it'll live for a while. But you may still spit out an axle when a clip goes
frown.gif

It's not exactly a race truck. The 4.3 might put down 120 HP on a good day. It is more of a utilitarian thing. I do some work out in the woods, and I never ever want to get stuck out there. Sure, it's 4WD, but more is better. Zero cares about handling on pavement or tire wear. It needs to pull trees up muddy hills.
Would it be crazy to install a 3-point hitch and drag a box blade with this truck?
So, Redline Explosion Proof is the gear oil I should use.

For your application, just use the OEM recommended lube. Redline is overkill. You are taking care of the ring/pinion/bearings.

You are not hitting it with a trans-brake launch at 5,000
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
It is more of a utilitarian thing. I do some work out in the woods, and I never ever want to get stuck out there. Sure, it's 4WD, but more is better. Zero cares about handling on pavement or tire wear. It needs to pull trees up muddy hills.

Sounds like a fun truck. Reminds me of my Chevy LUV 4WD when living in the mountains of Montana. It was a VERY capable off-road truck.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
For your application, just use the OEM recommended lube. Redline is overkill. You are taking care of the ring/pinion/bearings.

You are not hitting it with a trans-brake launch at 5,000
laugh.gif

I could try hitting the rev limiter in neutral and slamming it into drive ...
shocked.gif

Just by chance, the front differential happens to have Redline 75W-90. It was all I had on hand when I some minor linkage repairs and deleted the electronic axle lock. Maybe I should put Redline in the back just so everything matches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back