Buzzing oil filter housing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you used a mechanic's stethoscope to prove it is indeed coming from the housing? If not that should be your first step and may pinpoint the actual source.

Or a long handle screwdriver in a windshield washer fluid jug cut in half also works.

I think it may be bypass valve related but struggling to find its location on the parts catalogue.

Sorry, forgot to mention, new MB filter and O rings installed with no change.

I think next step is to measure the oil pressure....

Last edited:
Lots of engines produce extreme oil pressure pulses at different speeds, either because the oil pump puts out pulses, because various oil passages open and close as the engine turns, or (really) a combination of both. For example, the #4 cam bearing in Mopar v8s I work on "gates" pulses of oil to each bank's rocker shaft one at a time as it spins, and causes a noticeable dip in oil pressure when the passages line up for example, but every main bearing in virtually every engine design is also doing the same thing as the crank oil port aligns with the block oil port. Oil pressure gauges usually smooth those out unless you get an oil tube filled solid with oil on a mechanical gauge, in which case the needle just swings wildly and the gauge "sings" (ask me how I know...). So I can totally envision that a polymer or thin metal cylinder exposed to those pulses would 'buzz'. The real question is "why now and not before?" That's the only red flag for me- what changed, and is it a problem? Are you using a different oil filter cartridge? Did it get installed incorrectly? Is an O-ring missing, or is the ADBV not working right?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I agree. What changed!

Mercedes OEM oil filter a year ago.
Mercedes OEM oil filter this year.

Same oil as last year as well.... I replace the oil filter (and o rings) in case it was that but no change.

Copme to think of it, the only work I have done on the oil side is replace an O ring on the oil cooler thermostat as the old one was leaking. I wonder if this is causing a restriction until it opens up (max oil temp).

I suppose oil pressure measurement will indicate if this is the case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alexanderfitu

I agree. What changed!

Mercedes OEM oil filter a year ago.
Mercedes OEM oil filter this year.

Same oil as last year as well.... I replace the oil filter (and o rings) in case it was that but no change.

Copme to think of it, the only work I have done on the oil side is replace an O ring on the oil cooler thermostat as the old one was leaking. I wonder if this is causing a restriction until it opens up (max oil temp).

I suppose oil pressure measurement will indicate if this is the case.

It depends on the oil system. Some of them have so much going on that old school "watch the gauge" methods don't work well or at all. Some use the oil pressure sensor to vary the output of the oil pump and maintain a constant pressure... all well and good until something goes wrong and the system compensates and hides the issue until a major failure happens. Or, the sensor goes bad and the oil pressure shoots to max ("safe" mode) and throws a code :-/

Luckily this car is "dumb" A non variable oil pump and no oil pressure sensor in the system (which is stupid imo).

Just went out to satisfy my curiosity. 2 bar at idle @60 deg oil temp. So pressure isnt the problem.

Luckily this car is "dumb" A non variable oil pump and no oil pressure sensor in the system (which is stupid imo).

Just went out to satisfy my curiosity. 2 bar at idle @60 deg oil temp. So pressure isnt the problem.

Its not the problem IF that's pressure downstream of the filter. Also, "buzzing" could indicate the bypass valve is fluttering, and that's not something I'd like to have happening.

L..... no oil pressure sensor in the system (which is stupid imo)

So much for "advanced" german engineering....
06.gif
31.gif

Also, "buzzing" could indicate the bypass valve is fluttering, and that's not something I'd like to have happening.

I wouldn't worry - - it's lubricated well,
and as long as min oil pressure is established,
the engine isn't in jeopardy.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
L..... no oil pressure sensor in the system (which is stupid imo)

So much for "advanced" german engineering....
06.gif
31.gif

Tell me about it.

The oil test port is here:

In red.

Not sure if this is before or after the filter, looks probably before as oil will flow inwards from the outside of the filter media.

Ill pull the filter again tomorrow and take a good look down the housing neck to make sure there isnt a stray o-ring stuck in there etc.

Looking at this picture, I would say the test port is after the filter :

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1TcAAOSw88NZ8DBy/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xE8AAOSwZqZZ8DBw/s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Late in the R129/W129 life, Mercedes decided that their engines were so good that oil pressure monitoring was not nearly as necessary as knowing oil temp, so you would know when you could beat on it.

Oil temp gauge replaced oil pressure gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back