How old is that new battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us know to check the build date when we buy a battery. I have a customer that wanted a Ford battery for her Ford car. So I called and got one delivered. I glanced at the build date. 7/14!

So I checked the voltage. 6.18v! Sent that sucker back and had them bring me another which is the only other one they have. It was 7 months old but has 12.50v in it. I informed the customer and she wanted to go with the 7month old one vs a fresh one from a different source.

A Ford battery ? Was not aware Ford built batteries ? Thought many / most were built by Johnson Controls ?

And always put your 'new' battery on a BatteryTender trickle charge when you first get it. You'll be surprised how long it takes to get up to full (green light) charge!

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
A Ford battery ? Was not aware Ford built batteries ? Thought many / most were built by Johnson Controls ?
It may have been a Johnson battery with a motorcraft sticker on it. Customer wanted one from the dealer

Last time I bought a battery, I asked for the freshest one. It had a date of 4/17 and the date I bought it was on 4/2/17 or 4/3/17. Got that bad boy fresh off the pallet.

That's like getting a fresh biscuit right out of the oven that's scalding hot... Can't beat that for freshness
smile.gif

What was the part number on the battery? There are certain ones that sit and don't move but either the dealer or the supplier are supposed to recycle them so there is no old stock on the shelf. That being said I have had one of my suppliers try to deliver old batteries and they get really annoyed when I reject the delivery.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That's like getting a fresh biscuit right out of the oven that's scalding hot... Can't beat that for freshness
smile.gif

Needs to be hot to melt the butter.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Last time I bought a battery, I asked for the freshest one. It had a date of 4/17 and the date I bought it was on 4/2/17 or 4/3/17. Got that bad boy fresh off the pallet.
Sometimes they're time travelers. I've seen batteries with date code of the next month in the future.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
And always put your 'new' battery on a BatteryTender trickle charge when you first get it. You'll be surprised how long it takes to get up to full (green light) charge!

Several days in the case of my BMW. And even then the light on the charger occasionally flips from green (fully charged) to yellow (partial charge). I charge it periodically when it's not being driven daily.

The last time I had to get a battery replaced,my old one was still under pro rated warranty. The douche behind the desk (Sears) was trying to weasel out of honoring it (I had all documents and receipts in hand) and said I would have to come back in a few days,and I just told the douche that I have one car,that I will NOT wait longer than an hour,and that I'd be back in about an hour taking my brand new battery with me.

I go back and there's my replacement battery on the counter for me. Well this time he was gone and the chickadee there behind the desk starts flirting with me and is totally into me,so I flirt back a little and she suddenly goes,"Wait,let me go get you a brand new freshest battery we have",and comes back with a different battery,fresh out of the wrapper! I'm guessing that loser tried to give me one that was ready for the trash.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Been there, mine took almost 3 hours at 6 amps.

Last time I replaced my F-150 battery with a Motorcraft brand, I had to go to 5 different dealers before finding one made in the USA instead of Mexico. Don't know who actually makes them, but I've always had good service out of them.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
Last time I replaced my F-150 battery with a Motorcraft brand, I had to go to 5 different dealers before finding one made in the USA instead of Mexico. Don't know who actually makes them, but I've always had good service out of them.

Johnson Controls makes Motorcraft. I have not seen a Made in USA one in a long time.

I understand why some people want the made in USA batteries like East Penn or Northstar. Very, very good batteries made here by us. Remember that line of clothing and shoes FUBU ?? For Us By Us. Yeah, we need to continue in that direction in this country. We used to be the world's leader in making things. Good products, real products. Then over 5 decades ago we started cheaping out and sending production elsewhere. Racing to the bottom for cheaper prices which inevitably meant cheaper products. This also had the effect of hollowing out our own country's production capability and working middle class. We need to get back to what made this nation great to begin with.... Doing what East Penn is doing is a great example. Very good products made here by us.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Remember that line of clothing and shoes FUBU ?? For Us By Us. Yeah, we need to continue in that direction in this country.

LOL!

We had another meaning in high school, but I can’t talk about that here.

Ohh yeah I am quite sure there were other "translations" of that name. Never a doubt in that
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back