Standing Desks

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work, we get the desktop style VariDesk units. Mine is an Exec 40 model. It is specially designed for taller people.

I use it more than I thought I ever would. I've had back troubles, especially since getting slammed from behind in a 2009 car wreck. For example, I used it for more than half the day today.

I have two 24" monitors on it, with room to spare.

The whole standing up to work thing takes a bit to get used to, but now I actually enjoy it.

I work out of a home office..... it is a really nice office on the 2nd floor of my house. I find myself working down at my kitchen on the breakfast bar, standing..... about 70% of the time.

Standing desks..... yep they rock.

I do ergonomics for a living and also work at home.
Go to amazon and find a well rated model that fits your desk.

Either get a desktop model or the full table/desk you posted.

Key is to ensure it can handle what you put on it.
I love the new powered ones.
After adding two monitors, laptop and docking station they get very difficult to move up and down.

Ensure you alternate siting and standing.
Use a cushioned mat and beware of trip hazards.

http://www.memic.com/SAFETYACADEMY/PopularSafetyTopics/Ergonomics/tabid/228/Default.aspx

Last edited:
I think it depends how long you spend in your home office. For someone who spends a significant amount of time it makes sense. I work from home 40 hrs a week and dont have one but definitely will get one down the road.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I recently purchased a large 34" monitor for my home office and will need a new desk to go with it. The idea of having a standing desk intrigues me. One of my friends who is a full-time WFHer recommended this one:

https://www.fully.com/desks/desks-by-brand/jarvis-desks/jarvis-adjustable-height-desk-bamboo.html

I am open to any suggestions that you folks may have. Thanks.

I work from home full-time and I also have the Fully Jarvis desk. It's definitely worth the money, and a lot of the other people in my company (all remote) love theirs as well.

I bought the 60"x30" size and I wouldn't go any smaller. Also, definitely make sure you get the memory controls so you can go from sitting to standing with one button press.

Our office just got 4 of them. Every time I walk through, I never seen them using it standing up.

I am actually sitting in a similar desk to that at my office now. I use it once in a while. It is supposed to help keep you focused because we aren't just sitting the entire day. Either way for that price it looks like a decent piece of furniture. Enjoy!

My back seems to get stiff when I stand for long periods of time. One of my co-workers has one of those exercise balls as a chair and she said that seems to help with back issues.

The only thing missing from the Family Guy clip was "sitting is the new smoking." ROFL

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I have a standing desk and use it once in a while. It's not all that's cracked up to be.

How many thing in life are, Alfred?

We've got one in the study...no-one uses it, they pull up a bar stool, so at least half way there in terms of posture and non slouching.

I eat tea (evening meal) standing at the breakfast bar and am finding that quite satisfying.

At work, a new modern control station was installed, with a field of desks that can be raised/lowered, and a "bridge" area...It's really good for the operators.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have a standing desk and use it once in a while. It's not all that's cracked up to be.

I could list a few, but I'd probably get banned!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I could list a few, but I'd probably get banned!
banana2.gif

Let's switch places:
-You get here in Windy Chicago
-I get to bake cookies in a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back