WIX XP filter in my Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be changing the oil maybe this weekend (cold outside) and have lots of CJ-4 oil and a WIX XP. Not changing the Amsoil bypass filter.

I change oil based upon the OLM which seems to be around 8000 miles. This current cycle I went two of the OLM intervals. Last time I changed the filter after the first OLM interval as it was a Ford.

Now with the WIX XP I am thinking of going the full 16000 to 17000 miles.

Money wise I can afford a new filter every 8000, so its not trying to save $$.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
What's your reason to run the bypass? Cost savings?, minimize engine wear?, ecologically responsible?

Reduced engine wear is my primary motivation. If I keep up with CarWell then the body/frame will last and thus I want engine to last also.

How long do you want the engine to last? If you look at my 400,000 mile Duramax post you can see that a regular filter and no bypass AND 20,000 mile OCI's can produce very good results. The 6.7 Powerstroke is a great engine....should do as well as a GM at least. I just switched to Wix XP's since my Fleetguard pricing went way up...and I plan to run them on the 20,000 mi OCI also.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Reduced engine wear is my primary motivation. If I keep up with CarWell then the body/frame will last and thus I want engine to last also.
What is your plan for the DPF/SCR system?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

I plan to leave it as it came from the factory. That may cause me to be thrown out of the "diesel club". But I do care about air quality.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I plan to leave it as it came from the factory. That may cause me to be thrown out of the "diesel club". But I do care about air quality.
I have mine on as well and have no intentions of removing it, but my point was to suggest that you are focusing on the wrong part of the truck. You could run regular filters and normal maintenance and the engine will be the least of your problems. I spend a lot of time discussing the 6.7L platform with my service writer and they see many trucks weekly (very large dealership chain in Houston with multiple locations). Far and away, the two issues with any of the 2011-2016 PSDs are:

1. Fuel issues (failed HPFP and injectors) due to lack of filter maintenance, poor quality fuel or fuel with water in it.
2. DEF/DPF/SCR issues
3. Other issues include failed turbo chargers (particularly in the earlier models) and failed radiators.

He told me he has only seen a handful of failed engines and of those only a very small percentage have been due to oil and those were because the owner used the wrong oil or did not maintain the engine.

I bought the Amsoil bypass system for my PSD and ending up selling it without ever installing it (I PM'ed you about it at one point). For me, I could not see an ROI nor could I see where I would be "saving" the engine due to some shortcoming in the OEM oil/filter system. YMMV.

My 03/2011 has had its egr cooler replaced under warranty. If an expense like that occurs on my dime....its all coming off.
Recently turned 80k miles, occasional light towing but if had no real issues with it. I use mostly blue/peak 2.5 gal boxed def but I have used the rotella and super tech brands once or twice. I change the oil every 5k, fuel filters every 15k and panel air filter every 20k. I cleaned the foam air filter at 60k but it didn't really need it. I blindly used royal purple for the first 50k and motorcraft filters but a blackstone report suggested that I should run the RP another 1k and send a sample. I guess I expected a better report for what I was paying and switched to rotella t6. Now Im running cj4 labeled mobil 1 tdt 5w40 and the best quality filter I can find cheapest (currently using a stock of rockauto carquest blues i bought for $5 and change) usually napa golds but Ive used baldwins, K&n's and a royal purple filter or two.
Ive only had minor problems with the truck aside from the egr issue. Multi function lever (wipers, high beam, turn signal) had to be replaced. Front right abs sensor, and cab mounts. Had the death wobble last spring but losing the [censored] BFG KO2's and replacing a tie rod end and track bar ball joint solved that.
Ive had better and much worse trucks, but Im still happy with it and only mildly want the newer style but mine is paid for and still serves me well.
Ive been wanting to try the wix xp filter but wont pay full price to only run it 5k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back