Tour the 1980 auto show!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
What a bunch of junk!
lol.gif
The music is awesome.

I wonder if this was the Chicago Auto Show, being one of the most important shows for the automakers besides LA, Detroit and NY. I went to it in 2015, it's a pretty big deal.

For those nostalgic types that always recall the "good old days!" As far as 1980 automotive technology, the good old days weren't all that good after all. Every time I looked at any of these autos, I was visualizing the poor IIHS crash test dummy in a offset crash test and the score they would receive today. At least in this regard, glad to live in the present.

Last edited:
Although I still have one of those cars in my signature(and have had 4 Camaro's/Firebird's,'74, '77, '79, & the '80 below), we sure did drive JUNK back in those days as compared to today's vehicles. My first car being a '68 LeSabre and buying vehicles regularly since.

They were rattle boxes and thrown together on their best day. The panel fit looked as though they were slapped together by a high school shop class and the paint finish looked like it was applied with a hand held paint roller. Interior materials were absolute rubbish that would crack if you looked at it the wrong way. We sure have come a long way.

That BMW 633csi still looks fairly good today. It's particularly good looking when compared to the Volare' the Omni and Chevy Citation, hahahahha. That Chevette had skinnier tires than the spokesmodel's ankles. Even back then, they were trying to force tiny cars on unsuspecting Americans.

I still remember that generation of cars leaving me stranded on the parkway in rainy weather. The Citation's transmission giving out at 33,000 miles and grandpa's Volare' rusting out in 2 years and Linda's Chevette gave new meaning to the words Noise-Vibration-Harshness, But I'd go back in a second for the babes with shoulderpads!

EDIT: In the comments someone said "OMG, a list of every car I've ever broken down in" hahahahahaha, Exactly Right!

Last edited:
We've come a long way since those days-there was a lot of emission junk in those days. Plus, your diesel pickup choice was only the awesome Olds 350 GM pickups. No Cummins, not even a Ford/IH 6.9 for 3 more years!
37.gif

Last edited:
Sweet! I was ten years old!!
laugh.gif
I remember all of those cars,and still have some of them in Hotwheels versions that I had from back then. The 280ZX,Trans Am pace car,Corvette,Camaro,and did I see a 944? I love all of those!! And what is a Guanci S-JJ1? That's a seriously sweet car!! I definitely don't remember that one.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I want that rabbit! 40 mpg optional diesel engine and still looks good in 2017

I agree,I always loved the Volkswagen Rabbits! They were sweet little cars.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
For those nostalgic types that always recall the "good old days!" As far as 1980 automotive technology, the good old days weren't all that good after all. Every time I looked at any of these autos, I was visualizing the poor IIHS crash test dummy in a offset crash test and the score they would receive today. At least in this regard, glad to live in the present.

Nobody ever called the 1980s "The Good Old Days" for cars. Anemic, ugly, thirsty...just all horrible...a decade best forgotten.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Nobody ever called the 1980s "The Good Old Days" for cars. Anemic, ugly, thirsty...just all horrible...a decade best forgotten.

Buick Grand National

Mustang 5.0 (I was getting 21mpg same as today)

Anything Porsche starting with 9 (except the 924)

And let's not forget you could buy a classic muscle car nicely restored for less than $10k...

But yeah, it is crazy that in 2017 mommy's grocery getter has the same amount of net HP from a V6 as an uninsurable high performance ride from decades past.

Originally Posted By: DdDd

But yeah, it is crazy that in 2017 mommy's grocery getter has the same amount of net HP from a V6 as an uninsurable high performance ride from decades past.

While that may be true and is often quoted. One cannot take a Camry V6 and get 500+ naturally aspirated HP from it. V8's from back then were easily modified to achieve very high outputs. In the 1980's we had 350 cubic inch Chevy's over 800HP.

Early in the video you are informed that you can get the Trans Am with, "a turbofied engine".

I couldn't tell if the spokespersons were auto show girls or newsreel actors hired for a single shoot.

They seemed a little unfamiliar with applying make-up smoothly.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Early in the video you are informed that you can get the Trans Am with, "a turbofied engine".

I couldn't tell if the spokespersons were auto show girls or newsreel actors hired for a single shoot.

They seemed a little unfamiliar with applying make-up smoothly.

Haha the typical 80s "overdo it" fashion. Bright pastel colors,big hair,big clothes,etc
laugh.gif
it was all about being bright and "loud"!!

Trust me, you don't want one. My grandpa actually had one, the only way it would make 55 MPH would be to drive it off a cliff! 48 HP, and my '64 Beetle with it's anemic 1200 cc gas engine was actually faster.

Last edited:
I remember my dad taking me to the auto show in NYC. He feel in love with the Buick Skylark for my mom. Ordered it the next weekend for my mom. Two tone silver coupe limited with blue velure interior 2.8 V6.And she gave up a 69 Camaro for it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Trust me, you don't want one. My grandpa actually had one, the only way it would make 55 MPH would be to drive it off a cliff! 48 HP, and my '64 Beetle with it's anemic 1200 cc gas engine was actually faster.

My grandpa had one too! I don’t remember it ever running right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back