House ok's bill, re-refine more used motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the young part of my life (mid '60's) the oil Sears sold was said to be recycled.

'Twas said certain nasties were driven from the oil during its first use and that cleansing and refreshment of additives was what you're buying anyway.

The age of the base oil wasn't an issue.

I think it's irresponsible to say it takes 42 gallons of crude to make 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil. This suggests that the rest of the crude is wasted.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I think it's irresponsible to say it takes 42 gallons of crude to make 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil. This suggests that the rest of the crude is wasted.
Clueless is more likely, somebody inserted that talking point in the speech for them, who needs research?

Misinformation given the uninformed drones is how the politicians and the media operate.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
So does anyone here know how many gallons of crude it takes to make one gallon of dino oil?

It's typically about 1-2% base oil refined from a barrel of crude. So ~1.5% of 42 gallons makes about 2.5 quarts.

So that means it takes roughly 66.67 gallons of crude for each gallon of lube oil.

Last edited:
What will happen if so much used oil is rerefined that the used oil consuming industries have to switch to new oil ?

If they re-refine old oil into reusable lubricating oil, does that free up production of crude to make more of something else?

Or is each barrel already worked to its most profitable, and they'd just end up stacking lubricating oil as a byproduct?

Originally Posted By: andyd
and re-refining drain oil is bad? Where is the down side? Can it be cracked to make other things?
I'm sure that the used oil in the tank at Autozone is much cleaner than the crude we get.

Good point Kestas.

People don't realize just HOW many things we use in our everyday lives that crude oil helps make even possible. It's truly quite remarkable if brought to light and thought about.

Originally Posted By: andyd
and re-refining drain oil is bad? Where is the down side? Can it be cracked to make other things?

There is no downside
smile.gif

Used to be factory fill for Rolls Royce was recycled motor oil, Duckhams Q.

I see no downside unless it is financially un-viable.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Yes, these half truths are always just ridiculous, but it's their stock in trade, I suppose, without going off the rails into politics.

Originally Posted By: car51
I know my workplace does their part; all of our used motor oil is re refined into new motor oil
smile.gif

That's good Adam. I imagine a separate company comes and picks it up then takes care of re-refining it? Thanks for the post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back