'08 Highlander 5,000 OCI, M1 10W-30 High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota/Denso 04152-YZZA1 OEM Oil Filter

Plan on pushing a 10-15k OCI next round with Fram Ultra.

I ran this oil from June 1st - December 4th. 80% City 20% Highway.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Another classic Toyota uoa with virtually no wear metals. Great report.

Yep for sure even the Silicon numbers look great.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Blackstone says run out to 7000 and you say 10-15K? Will you get another UOA?

Agreed. Honestly if you are doing 80% city, extended mileage drains might not be for you. I'd work my way up.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Blackstone says run out to 7000 and you say 10-15K? Will you get another UOA?

Agreed. Honestly if you are doing 80% city, extended mileage drains might not be for you. I'd work my way up.

Yes, I'm doing very little highway miles. She sometimes doesn't get the chance to warm up the oil properly. Thanks for the advice, on not jumping to the 10-15k run. I will do the 7.5k run, and send in another sample. And take it from there, & see if I can push more miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Does your Highlander has piston slap when cold? Did the Mobil 1 High Mileage quiet that down at all?

I have not noticed any piston slap while cold. I know these engines have a slight 'tick' (lifter tick?) when first turned on, I'm not sure. I don't even pay attention to it, anymore, to be honest... She has been bulletproof so far. I plan on running her to 300k + miles

A good place to ask that question would be toyotanation.com

Has it quieted the engine? That's subjective, but I can say that I really liked this oil. I think that it is A3/B3 rated and has HTHS of 3.5 I like to floor my man-van, constantly and I have towed a few times with her. So, I figured that this oil should hold it's own.

Being subjective: I might be wrong, but my Highlander hated M1 5W-30. I could hear the engine, and she sounded like a diesel. Again, it might be in my head.

Finally, I have decided to stick with M1 10W-30 HM througout the life of the Highlander. I plan on keeping her for a few more years, and I'm going to start gathering data for the UOA's and help out the Bitog community with more info.

In no way am I an expert but I plan on extending the runs past 15k to maybe 20k. I have been inspired by dnewton3 and his testing.
Planned: 7.5k, 10k, 12.5k & 15k.
The 10k-15k will be in Florida next year, where she will see over 70% Highway/Turnpike. Currently live on an Army base and we stay on Post, where it is basically a City within a City.

The UOA is telling us that, despite the heavily predominant "city" driving, everything is fine:
Wear incredibly low.
Contamination nearly non-existent.
TBN strong; vis perfectly in place; FP nice and high.

This UOA is yet more proof that "severe service factors" really are not severe at all, in reality. If this "severe" service of city stop/go driving is so horrid, then by all means, someone step forward and show me the consequences! Because unless you're blind, there's nothing whatsoever to be concerned about here and everything points to extending the OCIs. 10k miles would be a MINIMUM for me under these conditions. I like your plan; extend out a little at a time. To be honest, I see no reason you cannot jump right to 15k miles and then UOA, but I realize many would cringe at such an adventure, so taking a methodical build up approach is perfectly acceptable.

WHEN YOU PAY FOR DATA, DON'T IGNORE WHAT IT TELLS YOU! I am amazed at the nay-Sayers that often will ignore the reality of the data, preferring to stick with hype and rhetoric. And that's OK for them, but shame be upon your oily head for trying to convince others that incredibly excellent UOAs such as this one should be ignored, all for the sake of "cheap insurance" of frequent OCIs.
31.gif
If one does not want to utilize facts, that's fine. But don't eschew others that actually THINK their way into a maintenance program, rather than "feel" an arbitrary OCI limit.

For goodness sake, how much more-extra-super-duper-better does a UOA have to be before some of you will actually begin to see the light? This engine is running 1ppm/1k miles for Fe, and the other metals are so low they are just noise. No - I change my statement; the other metals are so low they are only echos of distant noise! I swear some of you would still recommend an OCI if there were nothing but zeros for wear metals. Because it would be "cheap insurance" in case a particle of metal actually made it's way loose. What a bunch of fear mongers some of you are!

Rummy has the right approach here. Run; test; analyze; re-assess. Repeat as necessary.
Kudos to you for your great engine and methodical work.

Last edited:
Quote:
but I can say that I really liked this oil. I think that it is A3/B3 rated and has HTHS of 3.5

Yes M1 10W30 HM is SN & A3/B3, it has a HTHS of 3.5 cP and a KV100 of 12.1 cSt.

I think it did very well, after 5000 mile only 5 ppm iron and a retained TBN of 4.3 with a KV100 of 11.2 cSt. Plus the zinc and moly levels at 783ppm & 93ppm respectively look like a nice oil.

This M1 10W30 High Mileage is in my opinion, one of the more desirable M1 products, I'm surprised more people don't use it. I would but they don't sell it here.

Look at the detergent package, Ca ~ 1200 ppm & Mg ~ 600 ppm, so it should be good for LSPI issues and being a full synthetic 10W30 you know the Noack volatility will be below 10%.

Good work mate.

Quote:
Because it would be "cheap insurance" in case a particle of metal actually made it's way loose

Well said mate, this "cheap insurance" argument looks like an excuse to me for not examining the situation and making a logical decision. It is said way to often. Not here obviously, but in other threads. Everybody here has been quite positive.

Last edited:
dnewton3 laying the smack down for the UOA'ers who just stick with the same OCI every time no matter what the results say
lol.gif

You'd love some people here in Australia with non turbo pulsars using $100 Motul oil for 5K KMS
laugh.gif

All fair comments … that oil and motor can “work it’s way up” to 10k right now keeping that Fram Ultra on 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back