High Temperature Anti-Seize ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I opened the box today that contained to new oxygen sensor, there was a note inside about the enclosed tube of anti-seize. The note said it's a high temperature anti-seize. I was all set to use my tried and true silver anti-seize by Permatex until the note got me thinking that maybe it's not for high temperature applications.
21.gif

The Prematex package should show a temperature rating. If not, go to their website and find the part number to see if they give more info. Regardless, I'd use the stuff that came with the new O2 sensor.

According to Permatex, here is a usage guide for their anti-seize products:

Nickel = good for applications up to 2400ºF
Copper = good for applications up to 1800ºF
Aluminum = good for applications up to 1600ºF

Their recommendation for spark plugs and oxygen sensors is their copper product.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

Their recommendation for spark plugs and oxygen sensors is their copper product.

In the rest of the world, about 1300C, 980C and 870C respectively. If your head is aluminium alloy and your plughole threads reach any of those temperatures I think they'll probably melt.

EDIT

Oh wait, its about exhausts, sorry.

Al stuff would still probably be OK for typical max exhaust temperatures but I'd just use what they sent me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
High temp anti sleaz is copper. The silver is not high temp.

Not so. There are various flavors of very high temperature and extreme temperature anti seize that do not contain any copper. The high temperature stuff typically contains nickel and the extreme temp jet-engine stuff is carbon-graphite based.

https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/how-to-choose-an-antiseize.pdf

Last edited:
I just replaced both O2 sensors on my car last week. These were AC Delco from Rockauto. They had a silver paste on their threads I assumed this was anti seize..

It should be easy to comprehend low, middle and high whether it's temperatures, quality levels students' performance gradients.

So I asked a local parts guy about nickel Anti-Seize from Permatex.

All I can say is that you should've seen his face. It got all twisted. And these fools wonder why we buy stuff online.

Also, shame on distributors for not making a entire catalog's range available for local order.

Originally Posted By: Kira
It should be easy to comprehend low, middle and high whether it's temperatures, quality levels students' performance gradients.

So I asked a local parts guy about nickel Anti-Seize from Permatex.

All I can say is that you should've seen his face. It got all twisted. And these fools wonder why we buy stuff online.

Also, shame on distributors for not making a entire catalog's range available for local order.

Can't get any of them here. I have it on good authority that most in the auto trade have never heard of them.

I doubt that even regular antiseize will see temperatures beyond its capabilities in automotive application.

What will happen if the temperature is exceeded?... The metal flakes in the compound will melt and result in liquid metal embrittlement of the assembly. This is a brittle fracture. I'm curious if anybody has experienced that in automotive work, and known it to be liquid metal embrittlement.

I'm not saying it isn't prudent to use copper- or nickel-based antiseize in exhaust application (I use them myself), but there is no need to lose sleep when all you have is the regular antiseize.

Just so you know, the Permatex antiseize that most of use have in our garages is a mix of aluminum, copper, and graphite in an organic carrier.

CORRECT.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING as "Silver" anti-seize.
Aluminum and nickel, no silver.

I believe the copper and nickel are used more for their heat conductive properties. The sensor can overheat and the copper helps get heat transferred from the probe in the exhaust stream out to the surrounding metal. Other than that the grease is just a carrier for the graphite and metals.

FowVay - just off the top of your head, how hot would you say a Buick 3800 exhaust manifold gets?

Any material at these temperatures would be glowing red hot or more.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Any material at these temperatures would be glowing red hot or more.

Don't think aluminium does that. It just melts and/or burns. Theyre all in the red and up range for steel though

Last edited:
What I said holds true for aluminum as well. As you pointed out, aluminum is molten at those temperatures.

ALL materials glow red or more at those temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back