Honda K24 and oil burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally change the oil every 4 months in our 2008 Honda CRV. This past oil change was at 60% olm with just over 5K miles. Been using Vavoline Maxlife full synthetic for awhile now. It’s burned almost a qrt of oil during that time. There’s no way I could go down to 15% with the amount of oil being burned.

Its been 80K or so since I changed the pcv last. I did take it out and it still rattles so gave it a shot of carb cleaner just for giggles.

Is there anything I do or should I go to 30W on my next change? Or are these engines notorious for burning oil? Granted it’s got 172K.

When I did my last OIC I put in QSUD 5w-30 in 400 miles the Corolla lost 1/2 cup of oil. I changed the PVC and it has lost almost no more perceptible oil since!

I'd take a stab at changing the PCV on it, if the burning doesn't improve with just the shot of carb cleaner. Make sure you get a Genuine Honda part for this job- it's worthwhile. If a new PCV still doesn't slow it, then you'll be looking at moving up to a Xw30 or possibly a Xw40. K24s burning oil isn't exactly rare, but they're far from notorious burners. The Accord in my sig has 160k on it now and doesn't burn any discernible amount.

If the rings are sticking due to carbon, you may want to try Seafoam. For about $10.00, Seafoam may fix your problem.

No OEM is going to warranty a ten year old 172K engine and a quart in 5K+ is far from notable consumption.
In Texas, I doubt that a 10W-30 would hurt the thing.
Try M1 HM 10W-30 and see what happens.
A new dealer PCV valve would also be a good idea.
Really, given the miles on the engine, a quart in 5K is not bad at all and would not concern me.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
If the rings are sticking due to carbon, you may want to try Seafoam. For about $10.00, Seafoam may fix your problem.

I was thinking on trying Amsoil power foam. I’m not too concerned about it. I check the oil every month. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No OEM is going to warranty a ten year old 172K engine and a quart in 5K+ is far from notable consumption.
In Texas, I doubt that a 10W-30 would hurt the thing.
Try M1 HM 10W-30 and see what happens.
A new dealer PCV valve would also be a good idea.
Really, given the miles on the engine, a quart in 5K is not bad at all and would not concern me.

It’s way out of warranty. I may trying Power foam and see. I may go to a 5w30 next time around. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Did you change it at 60% on the Maint minder because it was a quart low?

Why not Add a quart and keep on going?

Yep. And if it's using a quart in 5,000 miles, why worry? Just keep topping it off and install a new Honda PCV valve.

I never followed the olm...maybe once in the 8 years we owned it. I should of added a qrt and kept going, lol. Yes I did change it since I follow every four months regardless of miles.

Some Honda K24 years do have a reputation for oil consumption, but a quart every 5,000 miles is nothing to complain about for any car, let alone one with 172,000 miles. Most OEMs say consumption of a quart every 1,000 miles is in the range of "normal"

You could go to a 30-weight HM oil, but I think you'd be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Swap PCV valve for a new one and see how it goes for next OCI. If it doesnt change anything then consider other options.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I generally change the oil every 4 months in our 2008 Honda CRV. This past oil change was at 60% olm with just over 5K miles. Been using Vavoline Maxlife full synthetic for awhile now. It’s burned almost a qrt of oil during that time. There’s no way I could go down to 15% with the amount of oil being burned.

Its been 80K or so since I changed the pcv last. I did take it out and it still rattles so gave it a shot of carb cleaner just for giggles.

Is there anything I do or should I go to 30W on my next change? Or are these engines notorious for burning oil? Granted it’s got 172K.

Running the same oil in my ‘08 CRV with an OEM A-01 filter @10K OCI’s. I’ve replaced PCV’s trying to chase oil use in K24 that occurs at more and more frequent intervals as the engine accumulated more miles. A new PCV used to garner 60-80k until consumption started now past 250K it’s about 30k. At its worst mine consumes a quart over 5-6K, and instead of chasing it with unnecessary PCV changes I just add a quart and drive.

Planning on going to 350-400k then upgrading to a Ridgeline in ‘20 or so.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Yep. And if it's using a quart in 5,000 miles, why worry? Just keep topping it off and install a new Honda PCV valve.

Bingo! It will go 300k. The tranny won’t.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Running the same oil in my ‘08 CRV with an OEM A-01 filter @10K OCI’s. I’ve replaced PCV’s trying to chase oil use in K24 that occurs at more and more frequent intervals as the engine accumulated more miles. A new PCV used to garner 60-80k until consumption started now past 250K it’s about 30k. At its worst mine consumes a quart over 5-6K, and instead of chasing it with unnecessary PCV changes I just add a quart and drive.

Planning on going to 350-400k then upgrading to a Ridgeline in ‘20 or so.

Wow...maybe I’ll start doing that. I’m not worried at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back