Mahle OC705 7800 Miles cut open - TORN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Interesting link to Mahle's pages on counterfeits: Mahle Examples From Practice

Interesting because they show a fake that does not have the extra corrugation ring on the inside of the baseplate. They make a point of it. The filter here also doesn't have that extra ring. They show pictures of each. The fake looks like this one. Maybe it is the model.

Those are some impressive fakes actually. I wish I still had the box it came in. Maybe it is a counterfeit?
21.gif

But really, of all the things to counterfeit? A Mahle filter for a primarily domestic application that says made in Mexico? If it were fake, don't you think they'd say made in Austria to try to fool people?

Originally Posted By: jeff78
Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Some of my posts are serious, for example........
When a oil filter is cut open for inspection, and a defect is observed, how would one know if that is the one filter out of thousands that has a defect, or if it is the norm for that filter brand? If no defect is found, that may be the only filter out of several thousand that was good.

You're overthinking this. The answer is simple - prior to being cut open, the filter media exists in a state of being simultaneously torn and not torn.

Schroedinger's filter!!! I love it?

Interesting because they show a fake that does not have the extra corrugation ring on the inside of the baseplate. They make a point of it. The filter here also doesn't have that extra ring. They show pictures of each. The fake looks like this one. Maybe it is the model though, but is suspicious because it is exactly what they say a fake looks like.

Mahle says:

"Missing corrugation: cause for leakage
After opening the filter, a look at the end plate: in the counterfeit the second corrugation is missing. In the original, it serves to reinforce the cover plate to prevent distortion under load which causes the sealing ring to loose its sealing ability.

The end plate from the outside: undistinguishable.

But internally the counterfeit lacks the reinforcement corrugation."

Honestly, this is why I am reluctant to buy Fram ultras in bulk on ebay. I have gotten some counterfeit products on there before such as "genuine Toyota" center caps that were not actually Toyota ones. Granted they fit fine, but discolored in a few short years.

I dont want to chance getting a subpar oil filter

Mobil 1 5W-30 will make any oil filter media brittle and cause it to tear.

Next oil change I'll do a cut and post of the Wix I'm running with Mobil 1 5W-30 (48% remaining on the oil-life monitor, so probably a couple of months yet).

Originally Posted By: jeff78
BalticBob said:
You're overthinking this. The answer is simple - prior to being cut open, the filter media exists in a state of being simultaneously torn and not torn

That's why I never check my lottery tickets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canadastang

Interesting because they show a fake that does not have the extra corrugation ring on the inside of the baseplate. They make a point of it. The filter here also doesn't have that extra ring. They show pictures of each. The fake looks like this one. Maybe it is the model.

Those are some impressive fakes actually. I wish I still had the box it came in. Maybe it is a counterfeit?
21.gif

But really, of all the things to counterfeit? A Mahle filter for a primarily domestic application that says made in Mexico? If it were fake, don't you think they'd say made in Austria to try to fool people?

Personally I would ask Mahle about it. Maybe they will send you a shipping label and can verify. It is amazing someone would fake something as cheap as an oil filter. Which means they probably make thousands of them to make it worthwhile. That media breaking could damage an engine by clogging passageways.

Mobil 1 5W-30 will make any oil filter media brittle and cause it to tear.

Don't let Merk used your account.
wink.gif

Generally speaking, it seems that the European Mahle, Mann, Bosch, Hengst, and so forth are all very good filters. The ones with North American applications always tend to be something like relabelled Purolators or worse, which is very unfortunate, and silly from a marketing standpoint. The Euro filters for my Audi were built like tanks and cost next to nothing. The rebrands for the G37 cost twice as much and are a bunch of P1 or Purolator Classic clones, in which I have no interest these days.

Fix the tearing, and I'd use a Bosch Premium in my G37 in a heartbeat again.

Thanks for the link.
OP pics look like they are counterfeit. I wondered when I saw how far the pleats were spaced. Real Mahles seem to always be pretty tightly bunched.
I wouldn't use their can filters since there are so many US made options, but would not hesitate to use their cartridge filters or air filters.

Mahle would probably like to know that RA is selling counterfeits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back