Lawn mower oil substitute experiment idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, I trashed picked a running Craftsman self propelled lawn mower.
It needs a new transmission, front wheels and the rear wheels also have a lot of slop in them.
It has a Briggs & Stratton Quantum 6.75 HP that starts and runs great. If I put it out with the trash, a metal picker will
take it so I might as well have some fun with it first.

Give me some ideas what I should use.
Brake fluid, Wesson, Head & Shoulders???
I wanna make a Youtube video of it.

My Brother had an old car he wanted to junk.
He drained the oil and started it and let it run at high RPM.
It ran for several minutes, then stalled.
Did this several times before it would not start anymore.

I'd drain the oil and fill with .... water.
Maybe it'll steam for awhile.

or... wacky notion, pull the engine working engine, put the deck out for the pickers/scrappers.
you could sell the engine on craigers for a few bucks, or just hold on to it for a while, b/c you might just be able to "trash pick" a mower with a good deck/etc, and a bad engine....

but hey, what do i know....

Last edited:
your used VW approved oil?
with 2 drops of mint+pine
and one small marshmallow

would that make it VW2 winter vintage edition?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
or... wacky notion, pull the engine working engine, put the deck out for the pickers/scrappers.
you could sell the engine on craigers for a few bucks, or just hold on to it for a while, b/c you might just be able to "trash pick" a mower with a good deck/etc, and a bad engine....

I have acreage to mow at my new house and am not selling it on craigslist so someone can come leak oil on my new driveway.

Third on the ATF, since most of its use in experimental situations is in crankcases, and lots of us on here useit for that, lets see what it would do in real world running.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: earlyre

I have acreage to mow at my new house and am not selling it on craigslist so someone can come leak oil on my new driveway.

1) you NEVER have someone from craigslist(or other classifieds) come to your house. always meet at a "neutral" location.
Local grocery store parking lot, the mall, etc. some police departments have an area dedicated for those type of exchanges/ child hand-offs between parents having "difficulties" with each other..

2) Re: removing and holding on to the working engine:
My town used to have an annual trash/clutter removal day, where everyone could put whatever out at the curb, and whatever was left was picked up in the morning.
always a great evening for scrappers/pickers/ us kids. you could roam the village, and find all sorts of treasures.
one year, 2 houses apart were the same lawn mower. house 1,motor intact, wheels missing/deck rusted/corroded. House 2, perfect Deck, wheels all present and in decent knick, no motor....

just an idea i had based on a personal observation....

You should use something that was only around in the 1800s or earlier. That way if I ever travel back in time I know what to use. Also see if you can run the engine off of some fuel from the 1800s or earlier so I don't have to bring that with me as well.

Fill the oil sump with straight TCW-3 2 stroke oil. A lot of us here use it in our gas and some worry about it getting into the crankcase. I think it has more than enough lubricants to protect the engine and let it run just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back