It's been a good run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow, 12/19/17 will be the last scheduled PASSENGER flight for the Boeing 747. It will still be used for cargo transport. The fight will begin somewhere in the Arctic region and end in Detroit.

Last edited:
I'm no great traveler but I always wanted to fly in one. I guess I'll have to settle for an A380 flight somewhere someday.

I've flown on them when I was a kid in the 80's to Europe and Israel. I still have Pam Am headphones from one of the flights.

I'm not so sure it is the last flight of a passenger outfitted 747. I think it may be the last flight of that aircraft for a particular airline.

They were fun to fly in because of the stigma of it being a 747, but the actual experience in and of itself was nothing special in my opinion. Actually I find them not very comfortable. I'd love to fly on one again because its been quite a while since I was on one, but for flying on a regular basis there are other planes I'd rather be on.

I've only had the privilege to fly first class once in my life. A long flight to Brazil for business and it was on the upper deck of a 747. Sure made me feel special!

I was on a 707 in the late 90's (short hop to Aswan over the "Injun country" of middle Egypt) so I'd guess you'll be able to find 747's for a while longer.

They are a bit harder to fill though.

Lufthansa flies a number of the 747-8i aircraft. They and another airline I cannot remember are the only ones who bought these planes. Boeing is not making anymore except for the next Air Force 1 aircraft then after that the line will shut down.

On the cargo side there are still some 747 including the 8i.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-8

Originally Posted By: Kira
Funny, I read somewhere that the next Air Force One will be a Russian made jet (Tupolev?).

Lame jab and attempt at sarcasm.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Funny, I read somewhere that the next Air Force One will be a Russian made jet (Tupolev?).

I found it quite humorous.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Originally Posted By: andrewg

I found it quite humorous.

Not really very funny when the opposing side had far more connections....not imagined ones.

I flew business class in the upper cabin of a 747 10 days ago. Eight hour delay because the plane wasn't fit to fly. Had to get another 747 to get us on our way eventually. I'll take a 777 over a 747.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I flew business class in the upper cabin of a 747 10 days ago. Eight hour delay because the plane wasn't fit to fly. Had to get another 747 to get us on our way eventually. I'll take a 777 over a 747.

That's on the airline though. I like the 777 as well but still have my heart with the 747. I've enjoyed every flight I've ever had on one. Years ago they used it on domestic flights within the U.S. From Seattle I recall landing In Spokane, Minneapolis, and others. Of course the best trip was to Hawaii twice on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back