Fram Ultra Startup ticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a long time Fram Ultra user on multiple vehicles including the truck in sig. After experimenting with many different oils and filters, it "seems like" this truck is happiest, quietest with Mobil 1 EP. Always used a FU so i didn't give that a thought. 2 oil changes ago I picked up a noise similar to a mild piston slap approx 5 seconds after startup. This was right after the oil change. I figured its age of the engine, and that piston slap or some mild ticking is common on these engines. But not this particular engine. She's always been quiet at startup. I had been wanting to use the Fram TG on the shelf at some point, so I tried a hot swap half way through the OCI. Noise gone!!! I assumed it was coincidence, my beloved Ultra could not be the cause of the startup delayed noise. So, went back to the Ultra last oil change. The noise came back, ughhh. Can't be the filter, this makes no sense. Bought another TG and installed it on yesterdays oil change. Gone again!!. Quiet as a mouse. So, I guess I will be using the TG for now on.

No autopsy, but I did take some pics of the FU freshly removed from the truck after a 6800 mile (OLM 2% left) OCI. I also took a similar pic of the TG that went in and was quiet. Anybody see anything unusual? I usually check filters after an OCI, don't remember seeing so much screen covering the holes..

The ultra is a thick looking filter. There has to be some restriction. This is in your 6.0L? What's the ultra filter number you were using?

I had the same issue with an Ultra on my Liberty. Had a TG, loved it, figured why not try the Ultra and it was a little knocky. Then put a Wix on and it was quiet again, then a TG now and it's quiet.

Originally Posted By: Bobbb
The ultra is a thick looking filter. There has to be some restriction. This is in your 6.0L? What's the ultra filter number you were using?

Yes the 6.0L. XG3506

LOl. Yup. Weird seeing that grey can on there. Also worth mentioning, I changed the oil a few hours after operation and there was still plenty of oil ahead of the filter, so I don't think its an ADBV issue.

I didn't think it was either, I just think they filter so well that the flow is a bit less. I'd rather have more flow and I'm still in the one OCI=one filter camp, so really a waste of money to run an Ultra for me.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
So much for those that don’t believe tighter filtration = less flow....

That's one reason I only use MC filters on my Fords.

So much for those that don't understand how a positive displacement oiling system works.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
So, went back to the Ultra last oil change. The noise came back, ughhh. Can't be the filter, this makes no sense. Bought another TG and installed it on yesterdays oil change. Gone again!!. Quiet as a mouse. So, I guess I will be using the TG for now on.

Are you making these conclusions based on what you're hearing on 1st start-up right after a filter change, or are you hearing start-up noise at every start-up days after making the filter change?

I had a similar issue (knocking noise for about 3 seconds at cold startup) with the Fram Ultra. I switched to WIX XP; noise was gone.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

So much for those that don't understand how a positive displacement oiling system works.
smile.gif

Then so much for the OP's (and others on this post) ticking noises. I am sure they are simply a figment of imagination, not possibly caused by a FRAM UG filter...

I have a GM 6.0 as well (LQ4 version) never have I had any ticking noises when using the FU.
Going on three years of only using FUs
Though I do use the longer version XG3675
21.gif

There’s that ~ and seems generically they are called full flow oil filters …

My 2009 Silverado (sold it this summer) had a 6 liter engine and it would sometimes tick with Fram Ultras. Don't know why but it never ticked again after I went back to AC Delcos.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The Fram TG doesn't have metal end caps if I remember correctly.

And?

Well I find this post very interesting. Since installing a Fram Ultra on my 2017 SantaFe I occasionally have a loud ticking upon startup from time to time. I think that I will be going back to TG. I have had excellent experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back