Bluetooth handsfree plugin device

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bluetooth module in my Audi stopped working the other day. So far I have simply bypassed it to complete the fiber optic loop (otherwise, none of the entertainment system functions).
The problem is that a new module is about $600. I have no intention of spending that much money on a simple technology and have been looking for a plug-in option. Have you guys used something like this? What is your feedback and recommendation -- it adds two USB chargers and also streaming audio through FM.

handsfree device example

71u8GQj2PoL._SL1500_.jpg

when i've used those fm transmitter type devices, i've always had issues with them either producing a strong enough signal for the radio to pick up(even sitting inches from the antenna, on the rear parcel shelf), or, finding an open frequency, that stays clear while traveling.

the other problem I had was with my first Satellite radio unit. that car didn't have an aux input, but the unit sent out a good strong signal that i didn't have any reception issues with. neither did folks within 1/4 mile of my car. it was one of the radios involved in a lawsuit, as they were equipped with too powerful of a transmitter, in effect turning each unit into a pirate radio station... oops.

should mention this was all pre-2010. they could be much better these days...

Last edited:
I don't have AUX. I have used FM transmitter for music before but I need handsfree phone function now. It's illegal in my state to hold the phone against your ear and using a speakerphone is legal but more distracting.

I have a similar looking $15 Walmart branded Hands free. Occasional static if another station comes into play, but not often. But hey for the price its great. Can answer phone, etc. Next one will be something that doesn't use FM. And connects to steering wheel somehow

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I don't have AUX. I have used FM transmitter for music before but I need handsfree phone function now. It's illegal in my state to hold the phone against your ear and using a speakerphone is legal but more distracting.

well, I know they are passe these days, and SO "naughties"(2000-2010) but how about a good old fashioned Bluetooth headset? is that illegal as well?

back in the day i used them all the time.(before my cars had bluetooth)

Originally Posted By: Rand
The visor clip speakerphone type work pretty well.

The GF has one of these and its quite decent.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Sonic-Ri...+for+cell+phone

I second this. Had the smaller version Motorola Roadster. Worked great. In fact my son uses it in his 06 Volvo XC90. Works great stand slone. Does an excellent job with text to voice and vice versa and you can stream to your radio w through it for Pandora or whatever.

Motorola Roadster eBay

Last edited:
Ended up buying this.

The handsfree phone works well both for calls or streaming music. It plays flac files (most of my library is flac) from an SD card. Charges the phone well.

The only gripe I have is that it's not a proper music player user interface -- doesn't have a file manager and an equalizer. But it's one of the few FLAC players out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back