Battery charging question

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you charge a car battery, can you charge it "on vehicle" or should the battery be disconnected from the vehicle to be charged?

I will be using a solar prologix 2320 to charge a tired Bosch 96R on the 10 amp setting

The biggest concern for charging on vehicle with an external charger is accidentally exposing vehicle systems to too much voltage. The PL2320 appears to be a multi-phase electronic charger, so there shouldn't be any issues as long as there are good connections.

Make sure battery terminals and clamps are clean and tight so the charger "sees" the true voltage at the battery and isn't tricked by resistance and voltage drop at the terminals.

You can maintain and charge in the vehicle but you should not attempt a high volt desulphation/ recondition /recovery while connected.

I don't know if it has a sensing circuit to determine if its connected or not like my optimates do.

UD

You can always disconnect the cable without taking the battery out.
Then hook up the charger?
I don't think that will harm the vehicle electrical system.

It resets the ECU, clock, some radios, maybe other stuff. A smart charger that is not "reconditioning" a battery will be fine in the vehicle
smile.gif

If doing heavy duty reconditioning, do it out of the vehicle.

supporting above comments on desulfation - I doubt any of the consumer desulfators have enough kick to harm vehicle electronics, which are heavily filtered. If anything, the vehicle will present enough capacitance to the charger to reduce miniscule desulfation spikes to being useless.

A higher power desulfator, I would NOT run with the battery connected. I have had higher power desulfators take out parallel battery chargers.

There is no Mode in an automotive battery charger that the vehicle will get fried from. To think any different is just ignorant. Automotive electronics are engineered electrically and are generally much higher quality than what you find in a Chinese made TV.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Hook the ground to the engine last too.

Plug in the charger's AC connection last.

If you do a hot n heavy charge that burps acid your car will appreciate you doing that somewhere else. 10 amps should not do this, though.

Ok so I think this battery is about to become a core charge unless a miracle happens overnight. Ran the battery down to 8.9V with headlights and stereo. Hook up the prologix 2320, started 10amp charge. It did not go into desulfurization mode. I can SEE the white crystals on the plates through the watering holes!

I might pick up a battery minder or a dedicated desulfurization charger if I can find one.

Anybody know of a 96R group size or something that will fit and has both top posts and side terminals?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
When you charge a car battery, can you charge it "on vehicle" or should the battery be disconnected from the vehicle to be charged?

I will be using a solar prologix 2320 to charge a tired Bosch 96R on the 10 amp setting

I charge batteries in our cars with PL2320 all the time, "on vehicle".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back