Mahle vs. Hengst Porsche 911/996

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a shipment to take me through the next few years. Figures this is a good opportunity to compare/contrast two cartridge filters for the same application; Porsche 986 & 996.

Both appear very well made and I'll use either. The main difference is the end caps and seals; Mahle uses fiber while Hengst uses a hard plastic w/ a fabric gasket. The fiber caps on the Mahle are a tight fit on the spigot apparently providing the seal without the separate gasket. Both inner supports are similar.

The Hengst felt washer on the end cap looks a bit more hassle free than the foam end cap on the Mahle.

With her Volvo, they require a bit of force to seat them into place so the oil filter cover can be installed.

Good to see I am not the only one to experience this.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Nice!

I used a Mann in mine. I pulled out a Hengst when I bought it and it looked great.

Thanks for the C&P, looks great. I haven't used the Mann yet for this, I am guessing it is closer in design to the Mahle w/o plastic end caps?

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Thanks for the C&P, looks great. I haven't used the Mann yet for this, I am guessing it is closer in design to the Mahle w/o plastic end caps?

Yeah, somewhere in between, with Mann's typical hardened fiber-paste end caps.

I'm pretty sure LN's spin-on adapter is under the tree, so I won't be using cartridges much longer...

There is a large difference in center tube diameter, or maybe it is the picture? The Mahle looks like it has deeper media pleats. It's interesting they use plastic cages for the center tube support, seems like a good idea rather than metal with burs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back