Difference between Magnatec and Edge "Full Syn"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect this has been answered before but couldn't find it searching. Castrol makes both in same weights and tout the wonderfulness of each one. Edge costs several dollars more than Magnatec and both are called "Full Synthetic". What is the difference?

i was actually wondering this myself as you can get the Magnatec syn in a 5 quart jug for around 17 bucks, which isn't a bad deal

Running Magnatec full syn. Don't like it at all. And I was a big promoter of Magnatec semi last year. "Full Syn" Not the same magic formula. runs like the old, crummy GIII syntec of years gone by.

Know that Magnatec full syn is NOT full syn - its just semi like most all US "syns".

Maybe my batch was botched. Oil is batch sensitive.

Ill be dumping Magnatec full syn with under 2500 miles on it.
Thought it would go through winter. No way Jose'.

Back to QSUD or dare I say, M1 - but I don't want to have to dump 2wice.

Not sure about qsud 5w-xx flavours; LOVE, love, L-O-V-E-D! the 10w30 non dexos.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Running Magnatec full syn. Don't like it at all. And I was a big promoter of Magnatec semi last year. "Full Syn" Not the same magic formula. runs like the old, crummy GIII syntec of years gone by.

Know that Magnatec full syn is NOT full syn - its just semi like most all US "syns".

Maybe my batch was botched. Oil is batch sensitive.

How do you tell? Noisy? Or What?

runs like the old, crummy GIII syntec of years gone by.

Need more details. Which engine and how is Magnatec adversely effecting it ?

I've had the exact opposite experience in the MGM 4.6 in my sig, Magnatec 5W20 & an Ultra cut way back on the cold timing chain rattle it has had since I bought it, and once it gets halfway warmed up there's no noises at all. I can't imagine Edge would be any better, and I have enough $2 quarts from last year's AZ clearance to last the rest of the car's life!

I don't know what your reasoning is but I had a 2013 Rogue and used M1 0w-40 in it and was happy.

...runs like the old, crummy GIII syntec of years gone by.

Everyone's different, i guess. We used Castrol Synblend (gray bottle) exclusively in my wife's Infiniti M37 Sport. It was just as quiet and smooth as anything else. Same goes for any of the Castrol oils we've tried.

After all the stuff I've read, the only difference between the two I can verify with certainty is about $10-20
smile.gif

Edge has to have more/better/different additives and/or group percentages that someone referenced above, best I can figure, but it's going to take someone sitting down and sampling it proper with actual metrics before this question gets cracked. I inquired with Castrol about it and they were (understandably?) coy about the particulars outside of the marketing lingo regarding SUPER SMART molecules! This page has the data sheets FWIW on the 5w20 I had my eye on: https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/5w-20-motor-oil.html

But from what I can tell, the promise of a 5-jug for $17 is so nice that most people are willing to just roll with it. [censored], I'm tempted myself.

Last edited:

this is why i call being in BITOG for too long, and got contagious by all these paranoid and not sleep well at night cause over a dang oil
laugh.gif
, leave it in and start dont give a [censored] , your life will be alot better. I use to have same feeling, i was dump out mobil 1 for valvoline maxlife cause what I read ...... wasting moneys lol. also start develope an a feeling and made me over worried, over thinking on simple stuff, then one day I start dont give a ... and just go with ANY brand name and sleep well.

Last edited:
It's all in the ingredients. The Castrol website says Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology is their strongest oil.

Just like Amsoil SS, Mobil 1 AP and Pennzoil Ultra Platium, the strongest oils cost more. That's the difference.

My DI engine (Sonata) did well on M1 10W30 (non - dexos) - have not tried QSUD 10W30 yet .

I think Castrol, like most manufacturers has three product levels.

GTX - conventional oil, but the UltraClean is now semi-synthetic.
Magnatec - the middle level, was mostly semi-synthetic, but has been upgraded and is now mostly full synthetic and i assume Group III.
Edge - their premium product, with Titanium adds, always Full Synthetic, some of it with PAO base (0W40, 10W60, etc). Some grades may be Group III (5W30 last time I asked). But they all appear to have a high end metallic add packs with the Edge.

When looking at VOA's & UOA's it looks to me like GTX and Edge get the best metallic add packs. But Magnatec and Edge are the full synthetics (mostly - some SS Magnatec still exists). The Magnatec also has what appears to be a organic polar molecule that is attracted to metal surfaces, the silly named "intelligent" molecule. Something similar may be in the Edge, we don't know, as this is the marketing focus of Magnatec. While Titanium is the marketing focus of Edge.

This sort of makes sense to me. Three levels of products, one gets conventional base oils but with good metallic adds, the other gets synthetic base oils but standard metallic adds, and their premium product gets everything and a bit more with the Titanium.

I think that was roughly Castrol's plan, but I think it's hasn't worked out that way for them. The Magnatec is such a good product, that performs so well, for many people there is little - if any - advantage to spending more and buying their Edge. Maybe if doing extended OCI above 10k miles, Edge gold has some advantages.

Sure, if I was racing my BMW V8 then it's Edge 10W60, and for a new MB or Audi then it's Edge 0W40 and there is no Magnatec equivalent for either. But for ILSAC oils in regular cars and following the OLM for warranty, then Magnatec is the best bang for your buck Castrol oil.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Edge - their premium product, with Titanium adds, always Full Synthetic, some of it with PAO base (0W40, 10W60, etc). Some grades may be Group III (5W30 last time I asked). But they all appear to have a high end metallic add packs with the Edge.

The Tribologist at MNZ called it Group III plus. Not an official designation, but I guess he was implying an elevation above just plain old Group III.

I personally see no reason to buy Edge 5w30 when the Magnatec is cheaper and highly regarded for Ecoboost engines.

If there was a Magnatec 0w40, I'd buy that too.

It'a not highly regarded by ME:)
Not the Full Syn.

I really liked the semi-syn through summer. Not too good on cold start, warmup but fine at temp. The full syn has the cold start advantage, but " falls apart" at high rpm, high load, and there is loss of WOT High rpm power. The "syn" oil "lugs" better than the semi-syn (1200-1500 rpm med load).

Again this could be a batch variation.

Current Oil runs like a 20 grade in a 30 grade engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back