What solution for ultrasonic carb cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my snowblower carb. What do you suggest I use to let it soak in?

I have read some people like Simple Green Pro HD as it will not damage any type of metal.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Hmmm, I always thought that clean non ethanol gasoline would be sufficient.

No, it wont touch varnish. Simple green (the regular one) 50/50 with water will do the trick. I use this overnight for carbs then a quick 10 min cycle with the ultrasonic.
For injectors depending on the type I use everything from mild acids to chemicals that will eat aluminum away. Whatever you use try it on a piece of tin foil first to get an idea of how long if at all it is safe to immerse the part.

I would avoid using windshield washer fluid, unless you can keep your hands out of it. It contains a lot of methanol, which is a cumulative toxin absorbed through the skin. Instead use isopropyl alcohol or ethanol.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
I'm going to use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my snowblower carb. What do you suggest I use to let it soak in?

I have read some people like Simple Green Pro HD as it will not damage any type of metal.

I would just spray it all over with carb cleaner. Its pretty tough stuff and gets everything so clean so you can eat off it. Maybe use an old toothbrush.

I assume you have a rebuild gasket kit?

When I worked at Miramar Air Station, we used a solvent called Trichloroethylene in the ultrasonic tank for cleaning hydraulic oil cooler filters. The filters were a very fine stainless steel wire mesh. The solvent is often referred to as "Trike" in the military.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I didn't even see a link in your post.

It's highlighted in blue; how could you have missed it?
confused2.gif

I always used lacquer thinner to clean carbs. No ultrasonic needed. Lacquer thinner soak will have a carb looking like new. Be extra careful using it around open flame. Go BOOM. Get out the Rawleigh Salve mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back