DIY oil change, warranty question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am aware of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. With that said, how much documentation do you need to keep for DIY oil changes? I ask because I am still using up a large stash I bought for $1 per qt.

I really don't want to buy any more oil, or buy it just to get a receipt then return it right back.

Anyone know what absolutely necessary to stay in warranty?

Unfortunately, to stay absolutely sure you will be fine with warranty concerns, you will need proof of oil purchase.

I keep the receipts for my purchases, take pictures of the oil/filter on the engine, and keep an Excel sheet updated with oil/filter that went in and oil/filter that went out with odo reading and OCI interval. Probably overkill, but it helps me sleep better at night and it's rather simple to do.
thumbsup2.gif

I keep the receipts, but luckily have never had any warranty issues. My guess is you'd only be asked for them if you throw a rod and they pull the valve covers and oil pan and the sump is full of sludge.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I keep the receipts, but luckily have never had any warranty issues. My guess is you'd only be asked for them if you throw a rod and they pull the valve covers and oil pan and the sump is full of sludge.

Newer cars with the oil monitors they could also see the reset mileage resets on the on board car computer.

I don't do anything. I have zero documentation for oil changes. I'm not worried about it.

I bought a small expanding file folder and put all vehicle related receipts in it. I also have a spiral for my F150 and the wifes Escape. Anything done to either vehicle gets written down in that vehicles spiral. I include what was done, the date it was done, the odometer reading, and brand and part numbers of the items installed or fluids put in.

I wouldn't bother keeping receipts at all. The dealership simply doesn't care. The manufacturer doesn't care.

If for whatever reason you need a new engine, they're going to check for over revs and they may pop the valve cover to check for abuse, end of story.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Take photographs of the entire oil change event.

Even when I spill oil all over the floor.
lol.gif

I have a similar situation. I have a stash of oil. It meets the spec for Hyundai. I am keeping receipts of filters and oil. I keep a paper log and also update my maintenance log online at MyHyundai. I am also changing oil severe service 3,750 per Hyundai's criteria. They may not like me doing it myself (especially the dealerhsip who sent me a great coupon for a $199 oil change, etc at 7,500 miles). I did it for less than $3.00.

As others have said if there is an engine problem they will remove the oil pan or cam cover. They will be able to tell if oil was changed, receipts or not.

Last edited:
years ago my brother bought a 99 siena. he changed the oil 3-5k miles at about 30k he was having some engine issues and took it to the Toyota dealer to have it checked out under warranty.

Dealer told him the engine had sludge in it . because of that they wanted service records . my brother always changes oil at home, but did not keep the receipts.

they denied any warranty on the engine and told him he had no proof of oil change. he ended up taking a bath on it and trading it in for a Honda.

I had a bad experience with a then new 84 Audi. Since then I keep a spiral notebook so pages can't be manipulated, receipts stapled into place with notes on all work and inspections, old oil filters full and vacuum sealed in plastic, empty boxes, and packages, oil bottles, everything including UOA's if any. I keep every used part and printed photos of the odometer and anything else of interest. I'm not giving the dealer or factory any room to wiggle out of a warranty. That Audi cost me a lot of money in repairs that should have been covered. I did everything and more required. One other result is that I will never own an Audi again, ever. I don't care that in the ensuing years they reinvented themselves and cleaned up their act I don't forgive the arrogant, dismissive attitude I faced every time I dealt with them. If anyone knows me they will tell you that I take more than good care of my vehicles and always park them inside or cover them at home and I live in Southern California where we don't have weather. I have an 84 Civic that I purchased because of the problems with that Audi. The Civic was all I could afford and I still own and drive that car today with over 440K miles. Having to face the dealer with a serious warranty problem can be like going to war. Don't ever underestimate what they will say or do to get out of a claim.

I can attest to the fact that you need to keep receipts. I will also add that you should make copies of the thermal paper receipts due to the fact that they fade over time, and if/when you must review the thermal paper receipts they may be blank pieces of paper! At my dealership, the story usually unfolds as such:

Customer comes in with engine rattling, locked up or has a "light seeking connecting rod". I get the car. I verify condition. I pull the stick, there is no oil/sludge or BRAND NEW OIL. I tell Kia. They request pics of the valvetrain. I submit pics of sludged valvetrain. Kia says engine shows signs of neglect, can customer provide proof of maintenance? If there is service history in the system, easy peasy. If not we must ask customer for receipts.

Here is where the story gets good. I have heard and seen it all. Fake "receipts" printed off of a template on a home computer, generic auto repair bills from Office Depot with consecutive serial numbers starting with 00001, hand written receipts from brother/father in law/uncle/cousin, 8 receipts from Wal-Mart for oil filters on the same day.... I can go on. I'm a pretty good judge of character and can tell when someone is blowing me smoke. I can also tell when people are genuine. The thing is if you change the oil every 7.5k with something besides recycled ND30, it's likely not to make chocolate pudding in the top end.

Moral of the story, if you DIY, which I don't blame you if you do, we have some kids working for us that I wouldn't let lube a door hinge... keep your receipts and photocopy them.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Having to face the dealer with a serious warranty problem can be like going to war. Don't ever underestimate what they will say or do to get out of a claim.

Bingo. I worked at enough dealerships to have seen that first hand, more times than I can count. Having sold the cars to some of the customers who had problems, I heard about it loud and clear. I caught a death threat or three along the way. That was always good for a laugh.

To be clear, are you asking about the warranty of the OEM vehicle, or the warranty of the lube maker? Because the approach for each will be similar, but there will be some unique considerations for each. Plus, it depends upon the method of failure, too. Lube related failures are typically chronic, whereas component failures are acute.

Unless you have a much more specific question in mind, it's almost limitless as to the "what if ..." scenarios we'd get into here.

Typically written records (such as the additive notes in your owner's manual maintenance log) are often sufficient enough to show "maintenance" has occurred. And I'd think that as long as you have some recent records (perhaps dating back 2 years) of oil purchases, that would be enough to satisfy the warranty entity. That is, admittedly, supposition on my part. But I find it nearly unfathomable to think that you'd have to produce the oil receipts all the way from mile 1, especially on a high mileage unit that's no longer covered by the OEM and only the lube maker.

Which does bring into light an sub-level topic ... how does any particular company address that of other company products? If you used a slew of different lube brands for the first 100k miles, and you have a lube related issue at 120k miles, is the current lube maker going to blame the former lube makers? If your engine calls for SM or better, and you've used SM or better for it's entire lifecycle, then how does Mobil look upon the issue if they were in the crankcase at mile 120k at failure, if you used SOPUS, Valvoline, etc in a "mix" of choices during the first 100k miles?

Honestly, I think we all worry about this WAY too much. RARE (exceedingly rare) is the concern that a lube will actually CAUSE a failure.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Here is where the story gets good. I have heard and seen it all. Fake "receipts" printed off of a template on a home computer, generic auto repair bills from Office Depot with consecutive serial numbers starting with 00001, hand written receipts from brother/father in law/uncle/cousin, 8 receipts from Wal-Mart for oil filters on the same day.... I can go on. ...

Yep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Typically written records (such as the additive notes in your owner's manual maintenance log) are often sufficient enough to show "maintenance" has occurred. And I'd think that as long as you have some recent records (perhaps dating back 2 years) of oil purchases, that would be enough to satisfy the warranty entity. That is, admittedly, supposition on my part. But I find it nearly unfathomable to think that you'd have to produce the oil receipts all the way from mile 1, especially on a high mileage unit that's no longer covered by the OEM and only the lube maker.

The thing is - IME (admittedly dated but in a dealer ship) if they ask for receipts, you are already behind the 8-Ball. Something is leading someone to think that maintenance was not done or that you are not being truthful about something.

I've been through the receipt things before. A misplaced file folder had me on the phone with Advanced Auto requesting everything ever bought with a particular debit card over the last two years.

Keep your receipts! Both our Cruzes are going to stay under dealer changes until powertrain is up, it's free for life anyways.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The thing is - IME (admittedly dated but in a dealer ship) if they ask for receipts, you are already behind the 8-Ball. Something is leading someone to think that maintenance was not done or that you are not being truthful about something.

Or the dealer is looking for any excuse to deny warranty work (which potentially pays them far less than non)?

I agree "back when.." dealers were probably nice people and actually cared about customers. Nowadays its all about the bottom line and if they can force you to pay non-warranty prices for a new engine, why not take a guess that you dont have records?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back