ariens L3????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just [censored] is this mystery oil? The auger gearbox has it cast right into the housing (cast iron housing) is there a good substitute or equivalent product?
This is a 831010 48". 2 stage attachment for my old gt series machine

I just bought this blower and currently have it in pieces as it was stored in a barn that caught fire, had it sandblasted and powder coated so now reassembly can begin.
I had to take the gearbox apart for seal replacement as they were ruined in the fire. So now to figure out what I can fill the gearbox with
I hate when manufacturers spec their own lubricants and don't want you to know what the product really is
I don't care about political correctness in particularly searching for oil in a bottle that has an aliens sticker on it
Can't I just use 80-w-90?

I would strongly suggest that you use the correct fluid with the cost of replacement parts for anything nowdays. If it is a real gear box, maybe gear oil. But if its a hydrostat type drive, I would not chance using the wrong fluid.

Yes regular gearbox, not hydro, part of issue is nobody sells ariens within 40 miles and I do not go anywhere near either of them, would have to take time off from work to be able to make a special trip just to get it. I came here looking to see what the correct lubricant is without having to buy a bottle of it from them, I am sure that other applications use this same stuff, the oil companies aren't gonna mix up some compound just specifically for them. There are other machines out there that use a steel worm gear supported by tapered roller bearings driving a brass gear on a steel sleeve that's supported by bronze/ brass bushings, so there has to be a more commonly available lubricant that will work. This unit is about 30years old, so it isn't like it has warranty left on it that I will void if I don't use "their" stuff. I just want the machine to live after all of the work, time and money that I am putting into it to bring it back to life.

Yeah, you have put a lot of work into this machine.

I posted the links to the info,. You should be able to search it out from here.

Originally Posted By: Don_B
Yes regular gearbox, not hydro, part of issue is nobody sells ariens within 40 miles and I do not go anywhere near either of them, would have to take time off from work to be able to make a special trip just to get it.

Order it. Everybody mail orders everything now-a-days.
We are back to the Catalog mail order days of the early 20th Century, LOL!

Originally Posted By: Don_B
the oil companies aren't gonna mix up some compound just specifically for them.

WRONG. Special oils are spec's all the time.
Besides, it isn't oil companies, they just supply base stocks.

Blenders, like Valvoline - don't make oil, they blend it.
They'll blend whatever to any manufacturer's spec and put a special label on it.
YES - - - it happens all the time.

Since you state it is a worm gear drive you will want a oil for Hypoid/worm gear drives. That means a GL5 or a GL4+ oil. I would contact Ariens and try to order and get the corect stuff. Ed

Originally Posted by Linctex
"It's a proprietary synthetic 75W-140 GL5 MT1 with a special EP formulation."
This seems like a single hearsay source. What are the rest of you using in place of Ariens Synthetic L3 gear oil? Wouldn't a 75w-90 GL5 lube work well in this cold weather application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back