Lucas Synthetic / Z-Max Additive Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy usually uses ancient beater lawnmower engines to do his tests, but I see he went out and bought two brand new engines. Cool.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
This guy usually uses ancient beater lawnmower engines to do his tests, but I see he went out and bought two brand new engines. Cool.
cool.gif

He has done this a few other times with new Harbor Freight engines, including one with Lucas against STP. This seems to be his new method of testing oil additives. I like this method since previous wear or damage won't influence the results.

He still uses old lawnmowers for testing fuel related things (such as a recent video on whether sugar in gasoline will damage an engine or trying to run an engine on something other than gasoline. Engine wear isn't as much of an issue with fuel tests, since durability isn't what is being tested.

This is a very interesting channel, and it is nice to see someone putting these things to the rest rather than just pushing a sponsored product.

I guess the Lucas thickened the oil or made it clingy so more stuck to the parts.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I guess the Lucas thickened the oil or made it clingy so more stuck to the parts.

He ran the engines without oil, only the Lucas in one and Z-Max in the other.

I believe he ran oil/additive mix for the same time then drained and ran them "dry" to see what if any residual coating was left/soaked in,clinging ..whatever term used. Another with only oil that was drained would have helped with a baseline?
Originally Posted By: anndel
Originally Posted By: CT8

He ran the engines without oil, only the Lucas in one and Z-Max in the other.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Poor little engines.
cry.gif

I know, I do so much to keep my OPE running good, this hurts. But maybe he's "smart" and put used oil in the crank case and returned them to Harbor Freight as being "defective", he has 30 days to do it. Not that anyone would be so dishonest to do so
lol.gif
grin.gif
spankme2.gif

Whimsey

I have a 13 Chevy Traverse with the 3.6l DI engine. 870 miles after last oil change I was low almost a full quart of oil. At1900 miles down almost 2 quarts. I added synthetic Lucas oil treatment and my oil level has now stabilized. I currently have 4900 miles on this oil and show 20% on the OLM. Next oil change I’m going to go back with Mobil 1 and no additive and see what happens.

All you did was add liquid plastic to your oil and made the viscosity thicker. If you would just run a good HD 15w-40 oil you could come to the same conclusions.

Meh.

I did subscribe to the channel, so I'll hopefully see some more videos and better judge the content.

All this really demonstrated, to me at least, is that an engine run without oil might run longer if pre-treated with Lucas vs. Z-Max.

Does this mean using Lucas vs. Z-Max will lead to less engine wear with normal use? I can't really say that from watching this video.

Originally Posted By: rtrdad
I have a 13 Chevy Traverse with the 3.6l DI engine. 870 miles after last oil change I was low almost a full quart of oil. At1900 miles down almost 2 quarts. I added synthetic Lucas oil treatment and my oil level has now stabilized. I currently have 4900 miles on this oil and show 20% on the OLM. Next oil change I’m going to go back with Mobil 1 and no additive and see what happens.

This is about the only benefit I've heard of from the Lucas Stabilizer. I remember when I worked at O'reilly over 10 years ago, there was a guy that always came in with a mid 90's Ram 5.9. He would come in to pick up oil as he burned a qt every few hundred miles. He bought the Lucas one day and reported back that after 2000 miles, no oil usage. I'm sure this is not always the case but it was interesting at the time. I would never use Lucas, unless an extreme situation came up like this one.

I will say, I love the project farms videos; entertaining and informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back