2017 Best Value 5" ~ 6" DA Orbital Polisher ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for updates on the above subject with variable speed - under $100 would be great but may have to spend more than that ... Thanks in advance !

I got one from HF and don't recall the price but it was way less than $100. Used it on the Ranger with light compound and it worked great. Have since used it on a light scuff on the ABS plastic body of the Vanderhall and again, it worked as it should. Instructions say just let the weight of the buffer do the job; down bear down on it. Heres the exact one I used...https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-compact-palm-polisher-90219.html

Last edited:
If you look you'll find someone reviewed the harbor freight comparing it to a porter cable (I don't recall the outcome). If you are patient, you can find a chemical guys on sale about 4 times a year, just keep checking slickdeals.net Harbor freight has their's at their typical sale price of $55 WITH COUPON this weekend. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-Amp-Heavy-Duty-Dual-Action-Variable-Speed-Polisher-69924.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiODI1NTczMzYiLCJza3UiOiI2OTkyNCIsImlzIjoiNTQuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiODkwNyJ9%0D%0A

Get a harbor freight one and do the grease mod and it will be a great DA for you. I personally have a torq10fx and i like it, a lot of pros like rupes or the flex 3401. But a weekend warrior would be fine with the harbor freight model.

Harbor Freight DA offers 5.7 amps, 680 watts, 90 day warranty, $70.
Griot's DA offers 7.0 amps. 850 watts, lifetime warranty, $150 or less if you shop.

This explains why I have the Griot's machine and not the Harbor Freight.
I used to detail for a living so the better polisher paid for itself. For the once a year polish by Joe Consumer the HF will likely do the job. I also have a PC and a Cyclo.

My choice would still be the Griot's but with the extended cord length. It's just a bit more $$$. Value does not equate to the cheapest available in my book.

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
Get a harbor freight one and do the grease mod and it will be a great DA for you. I personally have a torq10fx and i like it, a lot of pros like rupes or the flex 3401. But a weekend warrior would be fine with the harbor freight model.

What is the grease mod you are speaking of?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Doesn't have variable speed but I like this one:

https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-wax-attack-polisher.html

The disadvantage I see is that it may be fine for large open areas but it cannot get into smaller areas at all. The Griot's or PC allow a change of backing plate which allows for smaller pads to reach areas otherwise inaccessible with the Mother's machine. No speed control, as you mentioned, is also a negative.

Thanks for the replies (minus our friend from SoCal) ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Its more, but get a flex. Or a rupes.

As a proud owner of a Flex--- it's overkill. For a guy looking to keep the car in the garage looking nice, HF should be fine.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Its more, but get a flex. Or a rupes.

As a proud owner of a Flex--- it's overkill. For a guy looking to keep the car in the garage looking nice, HF should be fine.

I respectfully disagree. While its more money, it gives someone who wants to keep their car looking nice, with a bit more correction capability than a standard DA unit, while still being very gentle and easy to use, with no real danger. Especially with a nice soft, no-cut pad.

I've been running a PC 7424XP for 5-6 years and it has served me well. Would recommend it to someone starting out or who just doesn't do that many cars. I've been trying to justify a Rupes LHR15 for over a year and I can't do it (doesn't help that they never go on sale).

I have used the HF for several years now. Did the grease mod, and modded the cord to 20Ft. Works and does great, and have detailed many cars with it. Is there better, sure their is, Do you need it? That's something you have to ask yourself.

I have 3 cars I would polish and wax 2 to 3 times per year max at home , so not what you would describe as a power user or professional user .

While its more money, it gives someone who wants to keep their car looking nice, with a bit more correction capability than a standard DA unit, while still being very gentle and easy to use, with no real danger. Especially with a nice soft, no-cut pad.

The more correction the polisher does to the finish the more clear coat wears off. Then it keeps getting corrected a few times until the hair, thin clear/paint fades away to primer. We've all seen cars like that around esp the darker ones. All it takes is one bad car wash or clearing the car of snow, etc to swirl it up again. Kind of like a cat chasing it's tail.

I like the gentle approach. One of the most knowledgeable guys on here who works on cars for a living including doing auto body will correct it once after painting. Then just focus on keeping it clean, contaminate free and protected. Unless it's a garage queen or a museum piece no reason to keep correcting it. Paint/CC thickness is more important imo. Because once you wear through it, new paint time which can cost thousands.

I remember my neighbor's 1998 black Accord that started to fade on the top services down to the primer around the 9 yr mark. When it was 3 years old or so a car wash "detailed it" with one of those big HD polishers. Not sure if it was a rotary or not. Looked great after words but at what cost. Most of the top of it needed a repaint when he sold it at the 10 year mark. He now has a bright red 08 Saturn Astra that I've detailed since new every year. The finish looks great at the 10 year mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back