Any Kia Niro Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really liking this vehicle, it’s now in my list of vehicles to consider. Any owners here can let me know what you like and not like?

I’ve watched quite a few video reviews on YouTube. I’m considering the EX model with the advanced technology package.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Seen them in traffic. They do look like a nice 'tall car'...not really an SUV.

Yeah that’s why I kinda like them. A little more clearance that a normal car but not as big as an SUV. I’ve been reevaluating what I need in a vehicle and on paper it looks like this would be a great vehicle for what I “actually” need.

Doesn't look bad and don't Kia's have a really long warranty right now? I was eyeing the Kia Koupe, but the front end on those is really strange and the interior was a bit lacking.

I'd just be worried about 104HP + 39HP trying to pull that along, would really need the transmission and electric motor configured properly. Not at all saying its not possible, but something I would investigate closely.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the torque combined is pretty high.

Again, it really comes down to transmission programming, and how well they combine.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Doesn't look bad and don't Kia's have a really long warranty right now? I was eyeing the Kia Koupe, but the front end on those is really strange and the interior was a bit lacking.

I'd just be worried about 104HP + 39HP trying to pull that along, would really need the transmission and electric motor configured properly. Not at all saying its not possible, but something I would investigate closely.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
I didn't realize the torque combined is pretty high.

Again, it really comes down to transmission programming, and how well they combine.

Yeah warranty is fantastic!

Yeah I need to drive one before I make any definite decisions. 50mpg would be really fantastic compared to my 15mpg with my truck. I don’t need a high performance vehicle, but have to make sure it can make it up hills though. Just looking for a nice commuting vehicle that can carry 4 passengers every once in awhile. 95% of the time its just me in the vehicle.

Absolutely, I get it, I'm usually alone all but one day of the week. I love the torque that my new Cruze has, to me that makes the biggest difference.

That, and GM automatics have sweet spots that you kind of have to feel to get the most out of them. When my Fiancee first got her Malibu she said it was under powered because she was backing off the gas during shifts, and not understanding how to hold a gear, or command a downshift. Optimization for mileage has gotten us to the point where I feel you can even lug, or get the sensation of lugging an automatic transmission these days. I just call it the personality of the car, some people get it, and others just kinda toot along.

Last edited:
The Niro is decent, yet I don't like the fact they are using a dual-clutch automatic. I prefer the seamless blending of gasoline+electric power via a planetary gearset as in the Prius, C-Max, Fusion, or maybe the Accord's series-parallel simplicity. One review I read on the Niro noted that Kia doesn't have very smooth blending of electrical and gas power, so test drive it to see if the herky-jerky behavior bothers you (it might not be that bad in practice).

My aunt has owned one for several months now and has been thrilled with it, with no issues. Of course, we don't know 50k/100k/200k down the road, but so far so good!

No AWD option was a deal breaker for me.

Note, the Niro with 18" wheels loses 6mpg. You will need to stay with the smaller 16" wheels to see 50mpg.

Originally Posted By: ryster
No AWD option was a deal breaker for me.

Note, the Niro with 18" wheels loses 6mpg. You will need to stay with the smaller 16" wheels to see 50mpg.

That’s the only thing that I’m worried about with it. But I was thinking, I haven’t had to put my truck in 4WD for anything but being off-road. I’ve got around in the winter with just RWD even able to make it up my hill unplowed. So I’m thinking a nice set of snow tires with the FWD I should be alright.

Yeah that’s why I want the EX with the technology package. Has the high MPGs but with all the tech stuff of the touring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back