Used Car Values

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got rid of my 2010 Impala for a 2017 Cruze LT/RS hatchback, since we were so impressed with our 2016.5 Cruze. I got a good deal for trade in considering the car had some paint defects, and a gash in the rear bumper. The car had the best care possible, but in its time with me had a head gasket repair, transmission cooler / oil cooler lines, lock actuator, power steering rack, and a blend door motor replaced. The rear defroster was also in operational, and burnt its harness connection in the passenger side foot well. Common and easily fixed, but still. Luckily it was all covered under extended warranty, but even with that I still was paying 125 dollars a repair, and having my car held up at at the shop on average once every 6 months.

In reality, the car is about to barf its transmission (4T65E) and you can really feel it. It has the input piston seal leak (engagement slip), and some trouble upshifting / downshifting. It also has a shake in the front end I could never get rid of no matter what I did. Even with pretty fresh road force balanced tires it would shake about 70 Mph and make it very uncomfortable to drive for any period of time on the highway.

It's a column shift / bench seat car with no OnStar / Bluetooth. With the cloth bench seat, anything resembling spirted driving has you falling out of the seat. It does have fogs, 17" alloys, and remote start. It was a very strange LT option package. I got the car for 12k about 3 years ago with 35k on the clock. I traded it with 71k and the wear that 36,000 miles has in itself.

The have it listed for 10k, gave it a bath, and threw it out on the lot. I did have black bow ties on it, and black Depo headlights on it. I feel a pang of guilt for whoever pays that much and gets that car. I get they are in the market to make money, but I can't believe they price they put on that. I'm just glad I got out of it before it totally fell apart.

Last edited:
Plus that car has the 3.6 and the 6 speed auto, along with a normal seating option and center console. Not to mention the updated grill and rear trunk color strip.

I think I negotiated high on my trade and they are trying to come back, because they have it priced higher than another 2009 with leather and bose audio on the lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You buy the Cruze new, or used?

Left over 2017, new. The incentives were crazy and my trade was considerably higher than another else I was talking to.

Last edited:
It's kinda scary (and good for shoppers) that sedan prices are so low. I've seen 2016 Cruze limited (ld style) with less that 20k miles for right around 10k...

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Surprised you would try another

GM after that list of [censored]....

I hear you, I really do, and I thought long and hard about it.

I've had GM cars my entire life, and that Impala was the first one to throw me a curve ball. We drove the Cruze and found it head and shoulders above the Corolla and Civic. We let that sit for awhile while we decided what to do with our other car a 2010 Malibu. We ended up buying a 2016.5 service loaner with 7,000 miles on it for a steal. Mine was a 2017 left over, new.

I really do feel that newer GM products are much better than their "bankruptcy" years. I also do feel I did hit every pain point the Impala had to offer while some folks encounter only a few, or none of what I listed.

Last edited:
Yes, seems that used car prices are high. My girlfriends 2010 Civic that she traded in was for sale for $7500 and then sold with in a week or two. That car had about 115,000 miles and was very basic, I think the LX-S trim.

Ive had a few 2017 cruze loaners. Nice decent cars with the updated 1.4L ecotec. Lil to small and underpowered for me id still rather have my 2.5L in my 15 Malibu.

Well if you can believe that GM has fixed their Cruze problem they have a Christmas sale going right now on 2017's 25% off MSRP. You can lay your shorts on it they aren't still selling them at a loss!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well if you can believe that GM has fixed their Cruze problem they have a Christmas sale going right now on 2017's 25% off MSRP. You can lay your shorts on it they aren't still selling them at a loss!

That's what got me to buy. 25% (discount and allowance) + 5% more (haggled) + good trade + a good APR.

Last edited:

I agree.
I received a $2000 certificate toward any new GM as part of a class action lawsuit on my 2011 Cruze....it expired the other day left unused. Screw me once...shame on you...screw me twice...shame on me....

I think the best values in used cars are in cars that are 10 to 15 years old.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX

I hear you, I really do, and I thought long and hard about it.

I've had GM cars my entire life, and that Impala was the first one to throw me a curve ball. We drove the Cruze and found it head and shoulders above the Corolla and Civic. We let that sit for awhile while we decided what to do with our other car a 2010 Malibu. We ended up buying a 2016.5 service loaner with 7,000 miles on it for a steal. Mine was a 2017 left over, new.

I really do feel that newer GM products are much better than their "bankruptcy" years. I also do feel I did hit every pain point the Impala had to offer while some folks encounter only a few, or none of what I listed.

I am considering a Cruze myself. What are your opinions of the 1.4 vs the 1.8?

My thoughts exactly. He had more trouble with a 2010 then I had with a 2002 Ford product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

My thoughts exactly. He had more trouble with a 2010 then I had with a 2002 Ford product.

In all fairness, he did buy it used so who knows what happened to it in the first 35k. Also, the 2010 Impala was never one of GM's better cars. Oddly enough, the police department around here is still running those old things.

Yeah, used car values are nuts. That said, find something with 200k plus miles... I paid $1000 for my Escape and $600 for my Suburban. In my plethora of cheap used cars I've been left on the side of the road once that I can remember, and that was with my 77 Suburban.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back