Recommendation for gun safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've put it off long enough. I need to purchase a gun safe either this month or sometime next year.
I have not thought of a price range, but looking through a Menards flier, I saw this one and it made me make a decision to purchase one. Pros and cons of this one?
COO of the purchase will be considered, but will not stop a sale if the product and price is good.
I'm sure this one will be shot down by a few members here, so any recommendations beside this one?

https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/...um=flyer_hosted

I think that's a Good safe. Only things I don't like are the electronic locks ( That they pretty much all have) and the fact to get the whole 28 gun you have to sacrifice shelves. I just bought the pretty much same safe two days ago. For years I just had a old Stack On single steel gun safe,not fireproof at all. As far as getting stolen no one is going to spend the time and effort so anything would be better than nothing. Why spend a fortune, get the cheapest size you need

LOL! After I posted about this model, the electronic flier says the supplier couldn't meet demand anyway.

My father in law bought that exact "safe", and was proud to show it to me. I went over to it, applied about 20-30 pounds of pressure to the handle while it was locked, and it opened the door right up, even though it was locked. Biggest pile of junk I ever saw.

Real plate steel not cheap sheet metal that can be pealed. Bigger than your refrigerator! S&G lock and 1 inch bolts.

Last edited:
L i b e r t y S a f e s

coffee2.gif

No point in paying big money for a hardened steel plate door, when simple hand power tools can defeat the side. There's a PDF circulating with about a hundred pics of penetrated "home security containers," including Liberty's. Drill, sawzall, even a pick axe. It only takes time and effort.

So buy the biggest you can afford, can fit, and can move. Bolt it into place. And realize that it's good against kids, guests, and one burglary only, because the second time they come back with equipment, it's gone.

What is your purpose for the gun safe?
If you are wanting something to keep the kids out, there are cheaper security containers than that. That is not a safe by the way, it is just a security container.

If you are just wanting to protect your investments, spend the money on insuring them instead.

If you are trying to protect sentimental/family heirlooms, this won't do it.

1,400 degrees for 30 minutes won't do much in a real house fire.
Try 90 minutes at least
Burglars will take that out with a crow bar in 2 minutes.

Never store ammo in the safe. They will start going off from a lower heat then what your guns are able to survive. The inferno inside from the ammo....get my drift.
Raise it off the floor or it will flood in the fire from the firefighter hoses. But still secured by bolts.

$1,500 minimum for a safe that actually protects.
Liberty is the same. Lower end is worthless.

$100 security container by stack on with insurance or 2 grand for a safe. Everything in between is a waste of money.

My 2 cents

Originally Posted By: Iowegian

$100 security container by stack on with insurance or 2 grand for a safe. Everything in between is a waste of money.

I wouldn't go that far. The "in between" includes larger lockers in the 2-300 range, which have value in that they hold more stuff. And 2 grand is still just a residential security container.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have a manual combination, i prefer not to rely on batteries. Downside is opening it in the dark.

Agree with the manual combination but why would you be opening it in the dark? IMO if you have to open your safe to defend yourself you're in real trouble. Better to keep a big can of pepper spray handy.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I have a manual combination, i prefer not to rely on batteries. Downside is opening it in the dark.

Agree with the manual combination but why would you be opening it in the dark? IMO if you have to open your safe to defend yourself you're in real trouble. Better to keep a big can of pepper spray handy.

That's not what i meant. With older eyes, and most gun safes in the corner, not the center of the room, you body blocks the light. So at times it can be difficult to see.

I guess if you live out in the middle of no where and the thieves have about 3-4 hours or more to open it, I still doubt they could. Harder to get into a steel box then you think. If you got a gas powered cut saw maybe, still robbers are not going to spend time and effort to get guns which are hard to pawn to start with and lead the cops to them. I bought $20000 worth if insurance from Loyd's of London for $168 a year so insurance plus a safe , plus a home security alarm all work together.

I would get the size you need with the lock you want. But i would make sure its heavy enough that they can't pick the whole thing up and carry it out. It its light you are going to need to bolt it down. Mine weighs about 490lbs or so. Not the most expensive, but not a lightweight stackon model.

I would get the size you need with the lock you want. But i would make sure its heavy enough that they can't pick the whole thing up and carry it out. It its light you are going to need to bolt it down. Mine weighs about 490lbs or so. Not the most expensive, but not a lightweight stackon model.

Go on Utube and put in your gun safe Name and the safe pealing you may be amazed!

Anyone can force most safes if they have enough time. You get a safe and a good alarm system that goes off with a 130 DB alarm they aren't going to hang around long!

A pro thief won’t waste time going through the door - that’s the most heavily-defended side. He’ll just cut through the side with an angle grinder.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
A pro thief won’t waste time going through the door - that’s the most heavily-defended side. He’ll just cut through the side with an angle grinder.

That's why a loud alarm is so nice. On my alarm I've had it go off twice by accident and the I live in an area with good coverage the police were they both times in under 3 minutes. That's also why I have a safe made of plate rather than sheet metal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back