'86 C10 long bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been nickel and diming my dad to death. It runs ok but the trans started to slip (he says) so he gave up on it and bought a new Colorado. He disassembled the interior to install a radio I bought him a few years back and it never got put back together. Paint is rough but it's all there and I could bring some shine back to it.

My mom thinks he should give the truck to me but I'm not sure about that. I've been wanting a truck and could probably have it running well over a few weekends. Would probably just pull an engine and trans from LKQ.

Not sure if I want to spend the time or money on it but I'd hate to miss out.

The older 'square' 1970's and 1980's Chev trucks are becoming rarer all the time.

BIL had a 1987 GMC 2500 he had bought to restore, but it needed too much work. It was snapped up instantly when he put it up for sale.

I would take it, and fix it up - your dad might appreciate it still being around!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It has been nickel and diming my dad to death. It runs ok but the trans started to slip (he says) so he gave up on it and bought a new Colorado. He disassembled the interior to install a radio I bought him a few years back and it never got put back together. Paint is rough but it's all there and I could bring some shine back to it.

My mom thinks he should give the truck to me but I'm not sure about that. I've been wanting a truck and could probably have it running well over a few weekends. Would probably just pull an engine and trans from LKQ.

Not sure if I want to spend the time or money on it but I'd hate to miss out.

I will come take it off your hands. I think my truck could tow it on a dolly.
cool.gif

But really, you should take it if you don't mind a little project for the weekends. Parts for these trucks are ridiculously cheap and plentiful. They are one of the easiest vehicles to keep running if you have any mechanical aptitude, whatsoever. It's the perfect beater truck, but also easy to make into something nice. What engine/trans does it have?

Depends. I think 86 and say dont waste your time..surprised its only nickel and diming you recently..other hand says, cool wkend project..as long as you are realistic and dont sink too much into it.

The worst verhicle I EVER owned (an I originate from the UK) I could fill pages with the problems I had with that era of GM truck for the short time I owned one.

30 plus years later I still get my heckles up thinking about it.

It's what I would assume to be a basic work truck of the day. 305, auto trans, long bed, and dual tanks.

If I got it I would try to find a later 350 and drop it in. Not an LS, but maybe a later fuel-injected small block and transmission. Not sure I want to bother with the original engine; I think it's hurting in more ways than one.

Any insight on the trans slipping? The level looks good, maybe a little high, but the fluid is clean and bright pink.

Its value and the money required to fix it hinges primarily on corrosion. If it's not terribly rusted and/or beat up, someone will want it - the '73-87's value is on the upswing.

My dad bought an '86 K20 new, with a 4-barrel 350, TH400, and C6P heavy duty package. With one transmission rebuild and two valve jobs it had 361K on it when he stopped using it in about 2008. I have 128K on my '85 C3500 and when I need to pull more than a ton or so it's what I use. It was an AZ truck with 77K when I got it and I've kept it as nice as possible. Looking at a transmission rebuild soon (TH400) but otherwise it's not given me much trouble at all.

I'm no fan of the throttle-body small block + 700r4 combo which is what a lot of the later ('85 and up?) squarebody 1/2 tons came with. However, I'd think hard before passing it up if it's free or cheap for the taking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
The older 'square' 1970's and 1980's Chev trucks are becoming rarer all the time.

YES.

... but the trans started to slip .....He disassembled the interior and it never got put back together. Paint is rough but it's all there and I could bring some shine back to it.

^^^ This is a $3000 truck in this part of Texas. Easily.

It's what I would assume to be a basic work truck of the day. 305, auto trans, long bed, and dual tanks.

If I got it I would try to find a later 350 and drop it in. Not an LS, but maybe a later fuel-injected small block and transmission. Not sure I want to bother with the original engine; I think it's hurting in more ways than one.

Any insight on the trans slipping? The level looks good, maybe a little high, but the fluid is clean and bright pink.

If the trans is a 700R4, slipping could be caused by a bad TV cable. Or the whole thing is just toast. Do you want a little side project? Rebuild it!
grin.gif

I remember my neighbor had an 87 black short bed 2wd that a bunch of accessories on it, wheels, tint, exhaust, sound system, etc. I used to detail it for him. Very nice! Kind of looked like this. In the bed it had a chrome bar with overhead lights on it. V8, two gas tanks, alarm. I remember driving him and his wife to the airport in it. Not bad since I was only around 16 at the time.

Get it if the body is solid. Those old squares are getting very desirable the last few years. Here's my 87 350TBI I just dragged up from Alabama.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

If the trans is a 700R4, slipping could be caused by a bad TV cable. Or the whole thing is just toast. Do you want a little side project? Rebuild it!
grin.gif

If it's an 86 it is a Turbo 350C.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

grin.gif

If it's an 86 it is a Turbo 350C.

Even easier to rebuild! Do it for fun.

That would be a cool truck. My friend started restoring a 1989 C1500 regular cab short bed that he drove in high school. It had a 305 V8 with the auto trans. Same thing happened, the transmission started slipping.

He put in a junkyard 5.3 V8 and a 4L60e trans into it. A ton of power for such a small little truck. It was driven a few times then put on the back burner because the body is quite rough and needs a bit of work.

It's what I would assume to be a basic work truck of the day. 305, auto trans, long bed, and dual tanks. 305? My Dad's hay truck was a C 20 with a 307? What is the difference? TIA Yah , I know, 2 ;grin2:

It will cost money at this age... but overall most are reliable. I find that my '82 is better when driven frequently. If it sits, then the issues come out.

That being said, it is more of a question about IF you want to spend the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back