Thrust Kick of 0w-20 Turbo 4s!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what the gravity of the correlation is between oil, in terms of performance, but is anyone finding out these turbo 4s, the performance in terms of the thrust kick just fantastic in terms of engine + oil and not just oil to the exclusion of everything else, like this site professes.

Furthermore, isn't it just running any 0w-20 oil that they are prescribed and not even trying to be all elite about it. Mid 7s in cst @ 100, no problem! Average 2.4 or > HTHS, can do. No high moly VI so loving the VI in the 170s? No problem! No long drain intervals, who cares, I go by the monitor system.I mean, it NEVER ends, does it? These engines are what are the dynamos and super duper performers, not the oil, lets not get it twisted!

(I'm running the Honda full syn 0w-20 and it is average at best so what is it, the chemistry *in the engine* and the operative words are *in the engine*!!) SO I guess it can be the Full syn Honda oil in conjunction with and I simply can't prove it but, so be it. Got me.

Last edited:
That blob of text is kinda hard to read and appears like a jumbled pile of intoxicated thoughts.

Could you perhaps translate that to normal English.

I dont understand what question or point you are trying to get across.

36.gif

This would be great in the beer thread.

I'm extolling the virtues of lightweight oil with the least amount drag and correlating that to turbo 4 engines which are all the rage for those in the know. Oh, also the corresponding 'thrust kick' like Cammy from streetfighter.

Last edited:
I think he is trying to say that it is impressive that we now have high-output turbo 4-cylinder engines that can run on a 'regular' 0W-20 oil without failing.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I think he is trying to say that it is impressive that we now have high-output turbo 4-cylinder engines that can run on a 'regular' 0W-20 oil without failing.

Yes, as well as, performing and not necessarily just reliability. Although the latter has nothing to do with oil either, atleast not elite oil to the exclusion of regular or 'reggie' oil. Case in point or por emplo, this 0w-20 full synthetic Honda goo, texas tea, that I am utilizing. The stuff has average numbers across the board, some might say even subpar cst @ 100 so what is most important is it is lightweight and isn't that what defines these 0w-20s. And say you find an elite one, you know with great base oil (not necessarily GRP IV or V) with clever or craft use of VIIs or maybe just a miniscule of the bad stuff but runs like [censored]. That isn't the oil talking or is it? The point is you can't prove it either way so why bother. Another point, or simply adding to my original is that these tourbow 4 or atleast the one I drive, might not care much as long as it is lightweight and produces the least amount of drag. I might just be simply saying turbo 4 + 0w-20 = match made in heaven. Either way, I am in heaven!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Yes, as well as, performing and not necessarily just reliability. Although the latter has nothing to do with oil either, atleast not elite oil to the exclusion of regular or 'reggie' oil. Case in point or por emplo, this 0w-20 full synthetic Honda goo, texas tea, that I am utilizing. The stuff has average numbers across the board, some might say even subpar cst @ 100. Another point, or simply adding to my original is that these tourbow 4 might not care much as long as it is lightweight and produces the least amount of drag.

How bout using that “0w20 oil “ in a LSPI engine and reporting back after say 50k

Thx :^)

Both our Chevrolet Cruzes call for 5w30 with the LE2 and still jam out 177 ft/lbs. I'm more than happy to run a slightly thicker oil considering dilution issues with DI/FI engines. I think GM made the right call.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Both our Chevrolet Cruzes call for 5w30 with the LE2 and still jam out 177 ft/lbs. I'm more than happy to run a slightly thicker oil considering dilution issues with DI/FI engines. I think GM made the right call.

But with 0w-20, you get the fuel economy so the best of both worlds. Thrust kick, yeaaaah. Keep in mind, I live in a veritable jungle and was using 5w-30, 10w-30 and before that, even..gasp, god forbid, 5w-20s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Those turbo bearings will tell you how 0w-20 works at about the 20-30k mile mark.

I will still have the power train warranty and I'm not big on stats but if that was the case, the manuf would not apply a warranty to my purchase and more importantly, I wouldn't visit this maker of vehicle, yeaaah, so there is always THAT.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Those turbo bearings will tell you how 0w-20 works at about the 20-30k mile mark.

I will still have the power train warranty and I'm not big on stats but if that was the case, the manuf would not apply a warranty to my purchase and more importantly, I wouldn't visit this maker of vehicle, yeaaah, so there is always THAT.

I have no idea what you just said. Later.

"Thrust kick of 0w20"? Who's running their rockets and jet turbines on 0w20?
lol.gif

But seriously, I promise you that if Honda or anyone didn't need to meet CAFE standards, they would all be rated for 5w30, possibly thicker. It's not about what is most suited for the job these days as much as what they can possibly, through science and research, get away with. Keep in mind the engineers decided against giving the 1.5T an oil cooler, citing the aluminum oil pan as sufficient. Take that as you will if you want to run the engine really hard like on the track.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX

But with 0w-20, you get the fuel economy so the best of both worlds. Thrust kick, yeaaaah. Keep in mind, I live in a veritable jungle and was using 5w-30, 10w-30 and before that, even..gasp, god forbid, 5w-20s.

Yeah no, I'll stick with 5w-30. I'll give up .2 MPG to keep my bearings and turbo happy for years to come. 0w-30 is an option for extreme cold weather, but we don't really get lower than single digit a few times a year here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Next up: The Hand to the Manifold Test, and later: It Felt Like it was in Sport Mode, I Couldn't Keep the Wheels Planted!

HAHAHHHAAHAH

grin.gif

Overkill: the OP doesn’t even know FORD “Eco boost” engines spec 5w30 LOL!

And yes drugs are Very BAD

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back