Volumetric Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I determine the Volumetric Efficiency of stock 2013 Ford Fiesta 1.6L SE? Is it stated somewhere or do I need to calculate it?

You can calculate it if you know the engine displacement and the WOT air flow rate at a known engine speed.

Last edited:
The maximum BMEP or max torque is the lowest GPHPH or max eficency. BMEP=BRAKE MEN EFFECT PRESSURE AND GPHPH GALLONS PER HORSE POWER PER HOUR. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The maximum BMEP or max torque is the lowest GPHPH or max eficency. BMEP=BRAKE MEN EFFECT PRESSURE AND GPHPH GALLONS PER HORSE POWER PER HOUR. Ed
No, although maximum BMEP and minimum BSFC (max efficiency) sometimes come at about the same speed-load combination.

You meant Brake Mean Effective Pressure, and Gallons per Horsepower-Hour (= gallons per hour per horsepower).

I use an OBDII data reader and monitor Load. This is in effect the calculated VE the engine is seeing. Airflow X rpm. With a turbo or SC this value will rise well over 100%.

Originally Posted By: CR94
You can calculate it if you know the engine displacement and the WOT air flow rate at a known engine speed.

This is the only reasonable answer I have seen. Don't be surprised if it exceeds 100% near the torque peak, even in a N/A engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back