Bunn VP-17 coffee maker problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I volunteer for a 501(c)(3) that raises money for the kids in our community. We have about a half dozen Bunn coffee makers. On our newest one, a VP17-3,3LSST model) the water boils out of the top (it's overheating) spewing steam and hot water from where the top cover meets the body. What will I have to adjust or replace to correct this. I suspect the heater never shuts off, but I am not sure what controls it.

Sounds more like the output for the water into the filter is clogged. Generally they draw water around the bottom heater plate, that boils and is pushed up a hose and into the filter basket.

The heat should be on or off and not adjustable, probably a timer that turns it off after a while.

I have see the hose melt at the heater end over time, but I suspect that your hose is kinked or something.

You will have to take it apart and see. The hose is probably a 1/4" OD opaque silicone hose.

It is a restaurant style unit. These have a large tank in the back of the machine with a heater inside the tank. The tank is supposed to stay full of very hot, but not boiling, water. When fresh water is poured into the top of the machine, it displaces some hot water out of the tank to a pipe that sends it into the funnel through the coffee grounds, the finished coffee dripping into an empty pot. There is a keep-warm heater under the pot, but unlike a typical home unit, it is not involved in percolating the hot water.

The tank temperature is controlled by a thermostat behind the middle panel facing the front of the machine, behind where the funnel and pot to receive the coffee go. If water is boiling inside the tank, the control thermostat is faulty or set too high. Remove 4 screws to access the thermostat.

If water is coming out where it is not supposed to, remove the top cover and look for a blown seal or broken pipe. It does not look like a complicated machine.

For safety purposes there is an "kilxon" type limit thermostat and fusible wiring on top of the tank. These should never act in normal operation. The brewing temperature is controlled by the more sophisticated thermostat behind the front panel.

www.bunn.com has pdfs of the operating, service, and parts manuals. Click commercial products and manuals.

Last edited:
I unplug it after use, but there are 50 other volunteers, and even after being told to unplug it I still find it plugged in.

mk378- it is a restaurant style as you describe. I did find a service manual, but I will attempt to dial down the thermostat first, thanks.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Sounds more like the output for the water into the filter is clogged. Generally they draw water around the bottom heater plate, that boils and is pushed up a hose and into the filter basket.

The heat should be on or off and not adjustable, probably a timer that turns it off after a while.

I have see the hose melt at the heater end over time, but I suspect that your hose is kinked or something.

You will have to take it apart and see. The hose is probably a 1/4" OD opaque silicone hose.

No it works fine, but overheats if you don't brew a pot every 10 minutes or so.

It's the thermostat in the unit not cutting the power to the heater when it reaches temperature. They usually fail open. I have one of these units at home because I'm a coffee junkie. Took it from my dad's shop when he sold it. (retired)
13.gif

Last edited:
I've given up on buying these nice "commercial grade" coffee makers. It seems regardless of how much I pay, they never seem to last any longer, and many times not as long as the cheaper units. Another thing I hate is that most all of them have that stupid 2 hour "automatic off" feature. I like to have my coffee hot and available until I decide to shut it off..... Not the unit.

Now I have 2 of the cheapest Mr. Coffee units Wal-Mart sells. ($16.00 each). One for me and one for my wife. We like our coffee differently, and these units allow each of us to have it the way we like.... And plenty of it. And the best part is all they have is an ON / OFF switch. No auto this and that. No clock to set. No automatic programming. Turn it on and it makes coffee, and keeps it hot until you shut it off.

With both of us being retired, we don't need all that garbage. I turn it on when I decide to roll out of the sack. And by the time I brush my teeth, let the dog out, and boot up my computer, it's all brewed and ready to go. And the best part is they are cheap enough to where we keep 2 extra units in stock, ready to go. That way when one takes a dump, all we have to do is unplug it, toss it, and plug in a new one. Pretty hard to beat.

The OP's machine is serving about 50 users. A $16 Mr Coffee is not appropriate for that application.

Originally Posted By: mk378
The OP's machine is serving about 50 users. A $16 Mr Coffee is not appropriate for that application.

Buy 10 of them for $160.00. That's 120+ cups.

The problem with the cheap Mr. Coffee-type units is that they over-extract the grounds by drizzling the water through too slowly because they heat the water as it flows through. That makes the coffee taste harsh and bitter.

A BUNN, in comparison, has a tank that holds the water hot all the time, at the perfect temp - around 200*.
When you brew the coffee, it floods the water through the grounds quickly, doing a perfect extraction - not over or under-extracting it. And it makes a full pot in under 3 min.

It tastes no different than the coffee you get at a cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back