Anyone run 20k+ mi. OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm curious - how many folks run an extended OCI of 20k mi. or more on Amsoil, M1 AP, or anything else that advertises high mileage OCI's? I usually put less than 10k miles on any of my vehicles in a year, so I've always done an annual change at the very least, if not twice annual. I hit the OLM about once a year in our Yukon, which is usually around 7,500 mi. It seems like the general consensus here is 10k - 15k miles max due to average UOAs - of course that can vary.

Anyone living life on the edge? Is running Ams SSO or M1 AP 20k+ mi. even that risky, assuming it's being run in a healthy engine?

I do 20K on my 4Runner oil filter, a Mobil 1 M1-209 with 10K on the oil, Red Line 0w-30. My 10K oil analysis was very good but I'm not going to extend the interval over 10K.

10k is the new normal for many fleets that run vans for workers,when you have 500 vans,,changing oil every 3k miles is way to costly...the old 3000 mile oil change interval is probably obsolete really..It dates back to the 30s or 40s when engines might have lasted 40k miles at most...

A friend ran his 99 Chevy Silverado 5.3 on reg M1 5-30 and 15-25K OCI. Reason he sold the truck was when his 3rd trans failed, but the engine ran great.

If you're doing all highway mileage, checking your oil, and using top quality lubrication with some UoA's, I'm sure it's okay. I wouldn't do more than 15K personally. But that's me.

I do 25,000/5 years in my Cummins diesel.

I have one old '80's Ford Ranger 2.3 "farm beater" that hasn't had it's oil changed in over 20 years, and never will.

I have a Briggs push mower with the same Rotella 15W-40 I put in it in 2003. I add a little (2-3oz) every year.

Once my 2008 F150 hits over 200,000 I'll stop changing the oil. I'll change the filter every 25,000 and top off as needed. It's full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
10k is the new normal for many fleets that run vans for workers,when you have 500 vans,,changing oil every 3k miles is way to costly...the old 3000 mile oil change interval is probably obsolete really..It dates back to the 30s or 40s when engines might have lasted 40k miles at most...

In the 30's the OCI was more like 1K, sometimes less and the 40's maybe 2K and the 50 into the 60 was the transition from 2K to 3K. Going to 3K was a tough sell. That was the extended OCI of its day.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Tell us how well that works when you get rid of your vehicles and you tell the next owner that. To each his own.

Deal. I'll report my results in five more years when I get my next car.

Thanks for all the replies so far! Interesting stuff. I grew up on the old 3k miles / 3 months adage. A few years back, after some research and seeing manufacturers come out with 7,500 - 10,000 mile OCIs I was intrigued. I think I would gladly push 20k OCIs if I put on that many miles on any of my vechiles and had a good UOA trend to support it. Just didnt hear of many people who did it, although several local shops around here that sell the extended OCI oils tell me they have customers who buy the stuff and regularly run them to whatever the oil manufacturer recommends. And it sounds like there may be several on this forum who do as well.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Tell us how well that works when you get rid of your vehicles and you tell the next owner that. To each his own.

I could see that being a problem come time to sell a vehicle, but to tell you the truth, if I were looking at purchasing a used car that’s lived on extended OCIs, it wouldn’t necessarily deter me. If the service history reflects proper maintenance and if there were some UOAs to hep verify the health of the engine, that would check out with me. But I still know quite a few folks that cringe at the thought of a 7,500 mile interval, let alone 20,000!

RonRonnster
First of all, Welcome to this forum. There are many knowledgeable members with a wealth of information here. I started running a dual bypass filter with Amsoil SS 5w -20 in Jan 2016 after my 2011 Expedition was out of warranty. I'm currently 72k miles into my current oci. Occasional oil for top off, and filter changes keep my TBN viable

Last edited:
Your 20k+ mi. OCI reminds me of this:

full-76973-4134-unspecified.jpg

full-76973-4135-unspecified.jpg

Merkava4 pretty well covers it. Keep running those 10,000 plus mile oil changes and the results will be similar. Sludge adheres to the metal surfaces in the engine and doesn’t make it into the sample kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back