New FRAM Extra Guard PH4967 w/silicone valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotted at Walmart today. Sorry, I didn't buy it so therefore, no cut open pics.

49671_zpsdf1kbfe8.jpeg

49672_zpsibvavb8g.jpeg

49673_zpsj8iemd02.jpeg

49674_zpspwsozecn.jpeg

I realize not much can be gleaned from these pics, but it does leave me wondering.....

1. Will the TG eventually be eliminated and replaced by the existing OCODs?

2. What exactly does "extended performance" mean? No additional information is provided on the box. We know 5k for sure, maybe 7.5-10k possible....who knows.

FRAM has a solid reputation, so I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these bad boys.

Big fan of the ADBV design on Fram's, I do prefer silicone and that's the only reason I get a TG over an orange one.

Neat for sure, but honestly I don't think it'd make me a lick of difference assuming they keep the TG line. Was this the same price? ($3.77 I think?)

Was the efficiency rating on the box? - not showing in photos posted.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
What exactly does "extended performance" mean? No additional information is provided on the box.

Could mean because of the now used silicone ADBV.

True I believe Zee0six.

Thanks for the photos here sir1900. I was beginning to think that these were just not going to come out.

I will start buying these, instead of the Ultra and Tough Guard. I change my oil every 6-7K anyways and the flow will be higher than the other Frams.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
I’ll pass!

Same here. It is a very good entry-level filter (having good efficiency, synthetic-blend media, and silicone ADBV), but I'll just continue to use the FRAM Ultra filter. And in response to the post about flow, the Ultra filter has full synthetic media and it has been discussed many times that it has excellent flow. That is, the Extra Guard and Tough Guard oil filters don't have better flow than the Ultra filter. They all have good flow. Contact Motorking (Jay Buckley) on here and ask him about it.

sir1900, thank you for posting the pics.

2. What exactly does "extended performance" mean? No additional information is provided on the box. We know 5k for sure, maybe 7.5-10k possible....who knows.

"What exactly does "extended performance" mean?"
Nothing.... major, anyway.
Just marketing "Buzzwords".

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I assumed the white area of the scale was no filter at all, making the OCOD one step above nothing.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

On the advanced meter, not sure if all are advanced, or just the orange segment with the needle. It must mean the orange color is advanced over the white. My OES filter is either black or blue so isn't rated by the meter.

What I get from it is Fram has tested the OE filters but isn't telling the numbers.

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
In business it pays to eliminate the middle man ... or filter?

But I like my Tough Guard. It's dark grey, so it blends in nicely with the 30 years of grime on the engine block.
frown.gif

49671_zpsdf1kbfe8.jpeg

That's amazing! It not only has Improved protection, it has NEW improved protection!!!!!

And! It's for conventional OR synthetic oil!!!!! (I've supplied the 10 exclamation points — they're missing on the box because of a printing error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back