Southern States Supergold 50 Cetane Diesel Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for quality diesel. Southern States is local to me and I’ve been using them for 6 or so months with no issues. Southern States says they don’t change their fuel in the winter, it’s the same all year round, which is hard to believe imo. Next Fuel up I’ll be taking a sample and sending it out to Blackstone Lab for testing, just to see. At the same time the weather got cooler, I got new tires that are about 1” over the previous and I changed wheels to something 14lbs lighter per wheel. I’ve definitely noticed a good drop in fuel economy, probably about 2-3, which seems high to me.

Any of you guys run Southern States Fuel? Anyone ever test it? Main goal is to find a quality fuel, it kills me to put 40 Cetane in my truck.

Thanks

if they are 1" bigger that is 3% or better OBSERVED mpg difference because you are going farther per rotation of the tire.

I put my blizzaks on and lost 3mpg, 1 of that was due to the bigger size though.
(vs last winter on the firestone destionation at)

You have have also dipped into getting worse mpg because its colder and winter.

I go from 25-26mpg summermpg to 18-19mpg winter mpg with lots of easy highway on the blizzaks so far. (was 19-22mpg last winter with more city)

I wish we had higher cetane diesel around here, I cant seem to find any pumps with it. Is there a place I can search for a local station?

Fuel to use up north in the winter needs to be cut with 10% or so kerosene. But no need in warm states. I think VA would still need to cut it however.

Higher cetane will have no effect on gelling.

What issue do you have with diesel fuel that is 40 cetane? It's fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
if they are 1" bigger that is 3% or better OBSERVED mpg difference because you are going farther per rotation of the tire.

I put my blizzaks on and lost 3mpg, 1 of that was due to the bigger size though.
(vs last winter on the firestone destionation at)

You have have also dipped into getting worse mpg because its colder and winter.

I go from 25-26mpg summermpg to 18-19mpg winter mpg with lots of easy highway on the blizzaks so far. (was 19-22mpg last winter with more city)

Yea, I figured all of the above was affecting the mileage. Just kind of surprising by that much.

Took a sample this morning... I'll send it off tomorrow to Blackstone Labs. This is strictly for info, I haven't had any issues with the fuel. Anyone know of any past Southern States fuel analysis'?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Fuel to use up north in the winter needs to be cut with 10% or so kerosene. But no need in warm states. I think VA would still need to cut it however.

Higher cetane will have no effect on gelling.

What issue do you have with diesel fuel that is 40 cetane? It's fine.

I guess after using the 50 for so long, 40 just seems like a bad idea. Also, I know the minimum is 40, how many stations across the country do you think are under that minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back