2 stroke with no power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to get my old echo srm210 string trimmer running.This trimmer has two issues. One is it will run great for about 15 minutes, but once it gets good and warm it won't want to restart. The other is that it doesn't make any power. I bought a new trimmer and stopped using it. So far I've replaced the carburetor and fuel lines/fuel filter and cleaned the clogged spark arrestor clean. If I remember right, I couldn't get the muffler off to check the exhaust port on the engine block. That was a while back. I want to say the no restart when hot started after it sat unused for about 2 years.

+1 for coil test when warm...

For "no power" issue check exaust port...if piston has scratches than carburetor was set too lean in the past...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
For "no power" issue check exaust port...if piston has scratches than carburetor was set too lean in the past...

+2
Either a carboned-up exhaust port or low compression will cause your problems. If the exhaust port is open and you see scratches on the side of the piston, you found your problem.

My husqvarna did the same thing to me this past summer.. wouldnt restart after getting warmed up. I ended up dumping the fuel and mixing 32:1 Echo Blend and a few capfuls of stabil marine and run it like i borrowed it.. Japanese Tuneup lol.. Never did it again after that. Mine is 10 years old and has a ton of hours on it i feared i was going to have to buy a new one but that worked for me.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My husqvarna did the same thing to me this past summer.. wouldnt restart after getting warmed up. I ended up dumping the fuel and mixing 32:1 Echo Blend and a few capfuls of stabil marine and run it like i borrowed it.. Japanese Tuneup lol.. Never did it again after that. Mine is 10 years old and has a ton of hours on it i feared i was going to have to buy a new one but that worked for me.

Since he replaced the carb and other parts, I assumed he was using a FRESH fuel mix (not just fresh from the gas can, fresh from the gas station).

Probably not a spark issue then , but I would put a new NGK in it anyways , they are about $3 at a local shop.
On those older echos , there is a gasket between the carb and the jug , I'd check that to make sure it's not restricting.
Make sure your lines did not get crossed , when you installed the new carb.

Originally Posted By: irv
I'm surprised there is no mention of Sea Foam in this thread? I hate to sound like a nut job talking about this all the time, but the stuff does wonders keeping things clean and enhancing the fuels.
With today's fuels, imo, getting worse due to Ethanol, I find it even more important to use all the time.
https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

Keep telling yourself that. One day it might come true.

I drank the elixir Koolaid for a while, Seafoam included. Then I did some actual experiments using Seafoam by soaking carb parts in it. The end results were that it did nothing to remove varnish or clear galleries and jets. Even if left for days. An old toothbrush, a piece of thin wire, Varsol/solvent
and compressed air are far more effective.

With today's fuels, imo, getting worse due to Ethanol, I find it even more important to use all the time.

So your answer to alcohol in fuel is to add more alcohol?

Seafoam is overpriced alcohol.

Last edited:
This may not apply to string trimmers but my echo chainsaw had the same problem and it was a clogged spark arrester screen in the exhaust
system just before the muffler.

I believe when I checked a while back the screen was okay, but I didn't get to check the exhaust port with the muffler off because a screw stripped out.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I'm surprised there is no mention of Sea Foam in this thread? I hate to sound like a nut job talking about this all the time, but the stuff does wonders keeping things clean and enhancing the fuels.

I drank the elixir Koolaid for a while, Seafoam included. Then I did some actual experiments using Seafoam by soaking carb parts in it. The end results were that it did nothing to remove varnish or clear galleries and jets. Even if left for days. An old toothbrush, a piece of thin wire, Varsol/solvent

Experience with the stuff already has.

A few years ago I had my lawnmower about to die on me as I was cutting the grass at our trailer. It is an old neglected one that I figured was on its last legs years ago. Anyways, without wanting to stop and tear the carb apart, I decided to add an ample amount of SeaFoam to it hoping it would bring it around enough so I could at least finish the lawn.
When I fired the mower back up, it still acted like it was acting for a few seconds then all of a sudden it began to spit and sputter then a big white, grayish cloud spewed out of it, stumbled some more, then began to run good again.
I finished the lawn and did nothing else until the following week-end when I had to cut the grass again. To this day, I have never torn the carb apart nor did anything else to it other than to add a splash of Seafoam to it occasionally and it is still running great. Maybe because it was already hot, that helped, I don't know, but I am a believer and nobody will tell me any different.
Like I said in another post, I use to have to clean my carbs on my XLT Sp snowmobile annually but since I have been using/adding Seafoam to the tank, just a splash, before every ride, I haven't had to clean my carbs in years.
cheers3.gif

And to the other poster, there are more than one type of alcohol. Ethanol is not isopropyl, they are 2 different things. Many in the boating community use Seafoam over other stabilizers/cleaners as anyone who knows, knows that boats usually sit long periods of time occasionally giving gas extra time to go bad.
I have used Seafoam in my boat, as have others I know, for years without an issue, and my boat only gets used on weekends and sits in the water during that time so I would assume the moisture my gas tank picks up is far greater than a car that sits on land, obviously.
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/sea-foam-what-is-it-and-why-should-you-use-it/

I don't ever use fuel stabilizers. I used to use stabilizers then realized they cause more problems because I think they I treated the fuel, it can sit for three months no problem. Then one day after cleaning a carburetor out for the third time I said these stabilizers don't even work. Maybe back then they weren't compatible with ethanol. I don't know. Now I just run my stuff once a month. The fuel could be a year or two old. Never a problem.

A few years ago I had my lawnmower about to die on me as I was cutting the grass at our trailer. It is an old neglected one that I figured was on its last legs years ago. Anyways, without wanting to stop and tear the carb apart, I decided to add an ample amount of SeaFoam to it hoping it would bring it around enough so I could at least finish the lawn.
When I fired the mower back up, it still acted like it was acting for a few seconds then all of a sudden it began to spit and sputter then a big white, grayish cloud spewed out of it, stumbled some more, then began to run good again.
I finished the lawn and did nothing else until the following week-end when I had to cut the grass again. To this day, I have never torn the carb apart nor did anything else to it other than to add a splash of Seafoam to it occasionally and it is still running great. Maybe because it was already hot, that helped, I don't know, but I am a believer and nobody will tell me any different.
Like I said in another post, I use to have to clean my carbs on my XLT Sp snowmobile annually but since I have been using/adding Seafoam to the tank, just a splash, before every ride, I haven't had to clean my carbs in years.
cheers3.gif

And to the other poster, there are more than one type of alcohol. Ethanol is not isopropyl, they are 2 different things. Many in the boating community use Seafoam over other stabilizers/cleaners as anyone who knows, knows that boats usually sit long periods of time occasionally giving gas extra time to go bad.
I have used Seafoam in my boat, as have others I know, for years without an issue, and my boat only gets used on weekends and sits in the water during that time so I would assume the moisture my gas tank picks up is far greater than a car that sits on land, obviously.

Not to be rude, but you're coming across as a Seafoam salesman.

As I said, I drank the Koolaid and swallowed the hype. From experimentation and practical experience, I've concluded that it and most other magic elixirs are next to useless. Take a dirty carb apart and soak it in Seafoam for a week. Put it back together and see how it goes.

Seafoam might work as a fuel stabilizer but certainly will not physically remove contaminants and obstructions from carb jets & galleries. Nor will any other concoctions claiming to do so.

I've cleaned probably 100 carbs and on the most part, each one had to be disassembled and physically cleaned to get it to operate properly. I tried the easy method on quite a few of those carbs with little success. The odd carb that did run better using an elixir was more than likely the result of gasoline removing a thin barrier of varnish rather than from the effects of the elixir.

This discussion has gone on for years. If anyone wants to know the truth about the effectiveness of these additives, simply conduct some experiments. Real experiments.

cheers3.gif

Not to be rude, but you're coming across as a Seafoam salesman.

As I said, I drank the Koolaid and swallowed the hype. From experimentation and practical experience, I've concluded that it and most other magic elixirs are next to useless. Take a dirty carb apart and soak it in Seafoam for a week. Put it back together and see how it goes.

Seafoam might work as a fuel stabilizer but certainly will not physically remove contaminants and obstructions from carb jets & galleries. Nor will any other concoctions claiming to do so.

I've cleaned probably 100 carbs and on the most part, each one had to be disassembled and physically cleaned to get it to operate properly. I tried the easy method on quite a few of those carbs with little success. The odd carb that did run better using an elixir was more than likely the result of gasoline removing a thin barrier of varnish rather than from the effects of the elixir.

This discussion has gone on for years. If anyone wants to know the truth about the effectiveness of these additives, simply conduct some experiments. Real experiments.

I thought you might think that, so no worries, I understand where you are coming from. Truth be known, I am only a user, I don't have a cent invested in it nor do I sell it.

I have also cleaned carbs and have had some success but I believe you are right, to a certain extent, as I believe it helps more with the preventative side of things than it does actually cleaning things, but those are also dependant on what those cleaning things are.

My lawnmower and my snowmobiles are proof enough for me that it actually works. I did not use to clean my carbs on my sled, I only used it after the fact and they have stayed clean to date. With my dirt bike carb, I had some success with it as did I with 2 old neglected carbs from an Indy Lite.
Like you, the varnish/grime did not dissolve like I also thought it would but it definitely made it softer/easier to clean. I believe, since there is no movement with just soaking things, if it is agitated or has a constant flow going over the crud while running, that is where it works the best. Heat may also help?

Regardless of its cleaning properties, I also believe it helps keep gas fresher, de-ices/dewaters things and does most other things it claims.

Like you, I also don't fall for gimmicks. Lord knows there is enough of them out there all designed to fool the general public, but unlike those, I actually believe Seafoam works as claimed based on my first hand experience with it.

And also, just so you don't think I don't know what a torque wrench is, and for what it's worth, I do quite a bit of mechanical work on the side and as much of my own stuff as possible. I am 53 and have had an interest in cars, trucks, sleds, boats and pretty much anything mechanical since I can remember?
I have built my own Hot Rod, rode and worked on snowmobiles and dirt bikes, atvs, etc, for years, or as long as I can remember.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back