2017 Mazda cx5 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered an oil change kit from med center mazda came with 5 quarts mazda moly oil and mazda filter number 1WPE-14-302 the filter is really cheap looking and light wieght compared to the one from the factory it was the first oil change,is there a better filter i could use and not void the warranty?I see they make a fram ultra for the 2.5 engine.They dont sell the one it came with in the u.s. just the cheap ones.

That is the latest filter for your Mazda. They switched production to Thailand and I have not heard of any issues with those filters. Go ahead and use with no worries.

Thanks it just doesn't look as good as the one i took off,I see they have Idemitsu 0-20 at the advanced auto parts near where i live is it the same as the mazda moly oil? it would be easier to just get it there he said they had some of the older version of the mazda filters but they sold out of them.Loving my cx5 so far.

Same company but the Idemitsu you bought is blended in the US unless it says “made in Japan” on the bottle. With all the oil formulations changing for dexos gen 2, it’s hard to keep up these days.

As for the filters, the Japanese made ones are used for JDM while the rest of the world will get Thailand or maybe China made ones. No doubt the factory filter is stout but the important part is in the inside.

Enjoy your CX5. I do every chance I get. So far it’s a great vehicle. I’ll be changing my oil soon also going to Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w-20 and the same OEM filter you have.

I took apart the new model filter vs the old Toyo Koki and they were identical, minus the anti drainback valve. Since these filters are mounted upright, they don't need the valve, so it makes sense that Mazda changed the design to save money and not waste resources.

UOA on my 2014 Mazda 3 with the 2.0L Skyactiv showed excellent filteration with the made in Japan and Thailand model. Use without worry.

Mazda cannot tell you that you MUST use a specific filter or oil. You warranty cannot be voided because you choose to use a filter other than OEM. That is NOT AT ALL how it works.

With that said, Idemtisu is on clearance at Advance Auto for $3.95 a jug, check the Sales section of this forum.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There have been reports that Mazda SkyActiv engines require a specific oil filter for oil pressure reasons. The oil pump is a two speed pump. I have heard there are filters made by other companies that will work but I don’t remember them right off.

There is an older thread that touched on this subject briefly.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4152898/Updated_SkyActiv_oil_filter_1W

Mazda did not reinvent the oil pump. It’s a variable displacement unit like everyone else uses.

Oil pump clicky

No special filter needed as the ADBV doesn’t restrict flow.

Use the Fram Ultra, no brainer if it were me. It will filter better than any OEM filter ever would anyhow.

I have a 2014 Mazda6 and a 2016 CX5. I have used Fram Tough Guard filters and Castrol Edge 0w20 since new on both. Neither has blown up yet using non Mazda parts.
wink.gif

I’m running the M1 108A filter with no issues. I’ve read on their forums that Wix has a suitable filter as well. They are well regarded here.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Use the M1-110, Napa Platinum 47356, or any Fram ending in 7317

No M1-108 is the correct Mobil filter part number for Skyactiv engines. I do t know about NAPA (website suggested Gold NGF 7002) or Fram since I’ve only picked up Mobil and the Mazda filters.

Originally Posted By: Melectric

No M1-108 is the correct Mobil filter part number for Skyactiv engines. I do t know about NAPA (website suggested Gold NGF 7002) or Fram since I’ve only picked up Mobil and the Mazda filters.

The M1-108 is tiny!

I forgot about Wix making special filters for the Skyactiv. In that case, yeah, use the Skyactiv-specific filter.

But in the case of M1, the M1-108 is not a special filter, and it is tiny! So in that case, use the longer M1-110 if it fits. Fram specifies the same generic shorty 6607, so in that case, again, upgrade to the longer 7317 if it fits
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Melectric

The M1-108 is tiny!

I forgot about Wix making special filters for the Skyactiv. In that case, yeah, use the Skyactiv-specific filter.

But in the case of M1, the M1-108 is not a special filter, and it is tiny! So in that case, use the longer M1-110 if it fits. Fram specifies the same generic shorty 6607, so in that case, again, upgrade to the longer 7317 if it fits
smile.gif

Ah looks like you’re right. Maybe I’ll try it one day. The oil drain interval is only 5k-7.5k miles on these engines so I just go for the OEM filter usually. It’s cheaper, nicely packaged with a seal across the gasket. The Mobil filters just float in a shrink wrapped box which left me oddly disappointed with them before I even put it on the car.

The Napa Gold/Wix filter might be interesting to try since it’s a little cheaper and more effective on paper than the Mobil filter.

I don’t know what the difference is between the 108 and the 108A which is on my CX5 at the moment but the available space for anything larger is not there due to the resin access panel.

Is there really any benefit of running a bigger filter other than the sense it is better because it’s bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back