Texas Refinery Corp Moly XL Pro-Spec 3 Oil Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just got the report back on my TRC Moly XL Pro Spec3 engine oil. I put 9k on the oil and dropped it and the filter. I'm running it in my 05 Chev Suburban. I do realize this is a DEO, but was told the Micro Moly in the Moly XL package makes the oil that much better. Granted I'm running the risk of having the extra phosphorus and zinc in this formulation give my cats an early death, but the engine burns zero oil so I'm not thinking that's a big threat just yet. My area rep has been running it for 200K in his pickup with no issues.

Noticed a 1mpg increase on average over the Mobile 1 I was running.

Sorry for the images, My scanner is broken so I'm down to the digital camera.

From the looks of things I could have run this oil ALOT longer.

Texas Refinery Corp. I actually am setup to sell for them but it's mostly for myself since we go through so much oil here in our operation..... I just try to get the best bang for my buck.

I realize I posted this in the wrong area. Mods please move if you feel the need.

Appears to be same outfit who does UOA?
I’m getting an extra MPG from my intake Tornado (j/k)

You say the sulfur is high? maybe alot of short trips on this oil change? Although by looking at the TB number, there's LOTS of alkalinity left, so it must not be that bad.

I'm wondering if the higher iron number (which isn't really high at all) is due to my running the XP wix filter. They doen't filter as fine of particles as the regular wix I spun on this time around.

The sulfur is a bit high, but without a VOA, you really can't say much about it. Certain oils do have rather high sulfur on VOA, and if I recall the limits correctly, this oil is within the limits, but certainly higher than normal.

This UOA looks good and the oil appears to have a very stout add pack, with a decent slug of moly, lots of boron and both a mega dose of calcium and a big shot of mag as well. These last two explain the high TBN after 9K in service.
If this were a Honda everybody would be screaming about how high the wear metals look, but it isn't.
You have to view wear metals in the context of the engine from which the oil was drained and these look pretty okay.
This looks like a very interesting oil and the add pack resembles that of an old-school Euro spec PCMO.
Were I looking for the stoutest possible add pack, this oil would surely be one of the alpha choices.
How much does this stuff cost?

Originally Posted By: Garak
The sulfur is a bit high, but without a VOA, you really can't say much about it. Certain oils do have rather high sulfur on VOA, and if I recall the limits correctly, this oil is within the limits, but certainly higher than normal.

Exactly.

Without a VOA baseline of the current formulation, who can say?

As I recall back in the Synerlec days for Royal Purple, the API did their testing and noted that RP's sulfur was high (much higher than the competition), but specifically noted that it was still within the API limitations. It is so hard to call out some of these numbers in various UOAs without the VOA of the formulation in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back