Recommendation for 2012 Grand Caravan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2012 GC with 123K. I’ve been running 5W-30 FS in it. However, I now have an oil hoard due to the AAP clearance. I have full synthetic 0W-20, 5W-20, and 5W-30 all lying around. I’m sure all three would work. Any advice?

They should all work fine. Technically Dodge wants the Chrysler MS-6395 spec, but other are probably more than fine.

The owners manual is always a good starting point. Better that internet opinion.

I know it calls for 5W-30. I was just wondering if anyone else had used 0W-20 or 5W-20, and how it worked.

This is the downside to oil hoarding. Which is more important? Using the proper grade of oil in your vehicle or using up your oil stash you got a good deal on? Is this the only vehicle in the family?

I have several other vehicles. I’m only hoarding oil I can use. I have a Ford truck that can use any of the three. I tried 0W-20 in it, and it runs better than ever.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
I know it calls for 5W-30. I was just wondering if anyone else had used 0W-20 or 5W-20, and how it worked.

My 2015 Caravan specs 5w-20. I've used that and 5w-30 with no issues. I'm sure 0w-20 would be good too.

As my dad has this same year of vehicle and same engine, he runs whatever he can find on-sale MS-6395 spec or not and it has over 300K on it. In the PentaStar engine the MS-6395 spec is more so you can run by the OLM system. If you use older spec oil in this engine it will be fine, just don't push the OCI and you will be fine. It's not a sludger and goes relatively easy on the oil.
thumbsup2.gif

I like the Pentastar engine. This one burns no oil, and gets good power and mileage even on E85. I usually go 5-6K betweeen oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back