2008 Accord EXL vs 2007 Acura TSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I am lost because have been looking for cars all over the map!
smile.gif

Today, I looked at a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L with AT, leather interior(not in great condition)but everything else checked out well, as well as a 2007 Acura TSX.

Both have 170k miles and I can had either for ~4K. Accord seems to be a better choice vs Acura or no?

Anyone has any advice which one I should pick and why? Liked the drive for both, accord felt tamed(as expected) and can't really tell overall. Acura needs brakes and probably tires in near future. Also, for some reason after test driving Acura, 170k miles seems a lot, for Accord that seems nothing?

Any input or suggestions my fellow BITOG gang? Thanks so much
thumbsup2.gif

Do you have the links for each of the cars to share? Depends which was maintained better really.

If the 2008 Accord is an Automatic? I would stay away from it.

If the TSX is a manual I would get that one.

Honda Autos during this time period were garbage. Matter of fact, they still are. See how their new 10 spd holds up.

Honda makes an EXCELLENT Manual. But [censored] AUTOS.

Jeff

Last edited:
By those years the transmission issues Honda had were over by many years. The 6th gen ones had problems, mostly with the V6 ones but some 4cyl had problems also. Then the early 7th gen had problem esp the first year, 2003-04. By 2006 most of all those problems were gone. I was a moderator on an Accord for years, still am just don't visit there too often.

Just look on www.carcomplaints.com .

I would pull the atf dipstick on both cars. If one of them had black, brown fluid or never been changed I'd probably walk.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Honda Autos during this time period were garbage. Matter of fact, they still are. See how their new 10 spd holds up.

Jeff

While i agree the v6 3.0L honda motors paired with an AT is pretty much junk. The 4 cylinders didn't have as much issues.

The OP is looking at 4 cylinders, if i remember correctly from other postings. So i would put it in the average range like any other car.

I've seen a few TSX that never had the trans fluid done but never had any issues at 150k. If apples to apples, i would take a TSX over an accord everyday. Its a little more sporty, EURO-R accord in other countries.

ATF fluid for accord was pink, while Acura was brown.

Also, accord has always been maintained at a single dealer, as per owner. While Acura has records, but not always at the dealership.

Coesmtically both are same, accord is dirty from inside and leather is cracked at various places in the interior.

While Acura was detailed professionally, I guess and hence no comparison.

Accord is I4, not a V6.

Between these two, the TSX is the one to get. Much better build quality and far fewer issues than the 08-12 Accords.

Even though the TSX has brown ATF? The cars are similar enough that I would side with the better maintained one.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Even though the TSX has brown ATF? The cars are similar enough that I would side with the better maintained one.

The Brown ATF would not concern me. Honda ATF always turns brown or dark brown within 30k, often less. The 5spd trans on their 4-cyl are quite reliable.

Last edited:
Never noticed that on the 99 Accord 4cyl auto often going 40-50k before a drain and fill was done. Mostly hwy miles though and sold at 166k.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Never noticed that on the 99 Accord 4cyl auto often going 40-50k before a drain and fill was done. Mostly hwy miles though and sold at 166k.

You had the old school 4-speed Auto. Different times.

That's why I posted here. Issues with 08/09 accords and brown fluid on Acura. Part of me tells me to keep looking for a low mileage TSX!

Decisions...

Jeff

Pure bullfeathers, nothing factual.

Not sure if mine applies here,but I bought mine with 70K. The atf was still a clear red. I did two drain and refills with Honda DW-1,there was absolutely no residue on the magnetic drain plug,it was spotless.

I pretty much told the guy for accord I'll pass. Just left with Acura, will decide tonight. Otherwise, will keep looking for a lower mileage and cleaner ATF!

Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Jeff

Pure bullfeathers, nothing factual.

This is another one of those internet myths that just won't die.
You won't have AT problems with a Gen 8 Accord nor will you with it's Acura badged world-market Accord cousin.
A ten year old car should still look good in and out unless it's been badly neglected and 170K may be getting up there but isn't awful in a 4K car. You'd certainly be able to drive your 4K out of either of these. The Acura badged car would be the better driver and would have cost a good bit more new than the Accord. The Gen 8 Accord is a pretty numb handler when pushed IME as an owner of one.
Leather never does seem to hold up as well as cloth nor is it as comfortable, especially in very hot or very cold weather.

Yeah I think leather isn't for everyone, cloth can work for anyone who's not good with upkeep!

I am still in talks with Acura, but no longer considering accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back