100K mile maint plan for 2008 Toyota solara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, my son just picked up a 2008 Toyota solara with 4 cylinder azfe engine and U250 transmission (I think)

We changed oil and did transmission drain/fill. Did some reading realized that year transmission uses a felt filter (face palm), Okay will do another drain/fill with filter change at 100K (Valvoline Maxlife).

So at 100k plan to
- Replace water pump (OEM gotta love rockauto)
- Replace coolent and hoses
- Change oil (Pennzoil Platinum 0w20)
- Change filter (Fram Ultra)
- Change Diff fluids
- New PCV valve

Do I need to add anything to list?

Was planning replacing plugs and wires at 120k with Valve adjustment. The Toyota VVT does need valve adjustment right?

The oem hoses can last a very long time and shouldn't be replaced unless they are leaking, very soft, etc. Not like the hoses of years ago. The hoses can last the life time of the car. But once you put aftermarket ones on then you'll need to keep changing them out regularly.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The oem hoses can last a very long time and shouldn't be replaced unless they are leaking, very soft, etc. Not like the hoses of years ago. The hoses can last the life time of the car. But once you put aftermarket ones on then you'll need to keep changing them out regularly.

Except for the upper radiator hose. From my experience this is the first one to fail. I haven't seen any quality difference between a new premium quality hose and OEM.

Brake Fluid, Trans Fluid and Coolant. Oil change if due. It probably needs Drive Belt at that mileage.
Plugs are not due until 120k.

Leave all of the other items alone unless there is a problem.

A 10 year old car may need calipers and emergency brake work. By 10 years, corrosion tends to worm it's way in many calipers.

If the new hoses are EPDM they'll be OEM quality. I'd leave them if they feel ok. My 07 LR3 is still rocking OE hoses and I'm not worried about it. I did however swap them on my Liberty as I had a crunchy feeling and bulge in the upper.

Last edited:
Dont bother with a water pump just yet. Replace coolant and keep going. They will start to seep a bit when its time to change it. Im still on my original water pump at 151k. All the rest of ur plan looks good. If you replace it anyways agree with other poster, change t stat at same time.

If you can get your hand on the water pump, give it a good tug up and down and side to side to see if it has any play. If it has any play, I would definitely change it.

No need to change the water pump, just check the pulley by hand and see if there is any play. If not, just drain and fill the coolant.

Originally Posted By: digger327
Was planning replacing plugs and wires at 120k with Valve adjustment. The Toyota VVT does need valve adjustment right?

Well, maybe these engines need a valve adjustment but, those folks I know with same engine and/or vehicle, have never done a valve adjustment in 250K-300K miles.

We've had 7 Camry's and Corolla's ranging from 1995 to 2012 model years. Owned all past 200k, three past 300k. Not a single OEM hose was ever replaced nor valve adjustment. Sold or traded all (except two we have now) while still running and driving like new. Ive always stretch TB to 150k. For those without timing belt, never replaced a single water pump. We keep up with all fluid changes religiously...and only use OEM fluids except for motor oil. (Even though I agree with Amsoil in your tran.)
So....sure, follow maintenance plan, but don't waste time on "elective surgery" for things that seem okay (hoses). From our long track record of performance, I just don't see any need on these wonderfully boring Toyotas.
If your son puts on a lot of miles, start saving for struts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back